Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

01 V70 with "frozen ignition Key"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 V70 with "frozen ignition Key"

It finally happened to me! I've read numerous times about people complaining their ignition key locked up. I had always thought it was because of side force on the steering wheel, you pull the steering wheel off the stop locks to reduce the stress and bingo, you're good to go. Now I know that wasn't the issue. The key inserts normally, and advances to position one (which is past the steering wheel lock, and you can turn the wheel). However the key hits something internally and refuses to rotate further to the start position. I thought it might be some part of the security system so I called our local shop and asked if I could reset something by locking and unlocking the car with the remote or key or just stand on my head. They stated it appears something is broken inside and I'll need to have it towed in.

So in final desperation after jiggling, applying force in out, sideways I just torqued on it real hard towards the start position (around 10-15 foot pounds). Something felt like it broke, and the key went to the start position. I immediately drove home and did not make any of the planned stops in fear of being stranded.

At home I injected a small amount of tri-flow oil (has Teflon) using one of those small red tube extensions to get into the lock. In trying the key again, I could still feel a small catch at that position. More tri-flow, and now the catch is gone altogether and it appears normal.

Sorry for the long read, but here's the question for the group:

1) Does anyone know what went wrong?
2) Should we advise owners to periodically lube this area? Mine is a 2001 with 204K miles
3) What lubricant is recommended?
4) Should I now replace the lock mechanism, and if so any estimates on cost and degree of difficulty and special tooling required?

Thanks all, I hope we can learn more on this issue.

Jerry

Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 PM

interesting. sounds like one of the tumblers in the ignition lock might have gotten stuck, if they even have those. i've seen similar things happen on other cars, including keys that refuse to come out of the ignition too. some lock oil, 3-in-one oil, or graphite probably would fix it, so i'd think you're fine.

if it concerns you, you could always install a new ignition switch and see if that helps too. i'd just test it numerous times in your driveway the next time you get in your car, and drop a little oil in there every 15k miles or so and i doubt you'd have anymore issues with it. i wouldn't replace anything unless it acts up again, but that's just me.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Default V70 with "frozen ignition Key" Seems fixed!

Halycon, I appreciate the comments. I took off the 2 trim pieces today to "look inside". That didn't help much, but I did identify the electronics portion that attaches to the cylinder lock. I took that off and validated you can start it with a screw driver. While I had that side off, I tried to put in some Kroil with graphite from that side into the cylinder, and added some more from the key side. For now all is smooth as a baby's bottom, but I'll leave off the trim pieces for now and carry the tools to enable me to start it with a screw driver so I can't get stranded. I'm sure I'll button it up again in about a month if all goes well which I would expect it to do. I also agree on not replacing the cylinder for now as all is working perfectly.

Jerry

Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Unhappy '02 - V70 Ignition Lock

Hi Jerry....

I hate to burst your bubble of thinking your problem is solved - maybe temporarily, but here's my story...

One week before Christmas '07 I had the same experience as you... was able to work very hard to get the key to turn, but within a couple of days the key would not move beyond position 1 - period. Four weeks later the new ignition lock system and 2 new keys arrived from Sweden, (had to be custom made and programmed for my car). Not sure what the cost was then, because my extended warranty covered the repair, part, and the rental I needed for the month.

Jump ahead to last night - same thing happened right out of the blue, only this time, I have no expended warranty left. The new part and labour is $850 plus tax (in Toronto, Ontario) - a minimum of 15 working days to get another ignition key system from Volvo Sweden. Almost two years to the day after the new system failed I am having to replace it.......

I contacted Volvo Canada - unfortunately only a 1 year warranty on the parts...... Frustrated?? You bet..... I sincerely hope your "temporary" fix works out for you and you don't have to go through this agonizing and very expensive repair once, never mind twice like I just have.......

Merry Christmas!!

Di.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Di,

Thanks for the post! I hope you do better this time. So far mine is still working just fine. I did use some oil / graphite spray after the 1st incident. I'd suggest a little lube every once in awhile but am not sure this will help as it might be coincidence for me. By chance did you ever lube yours?

Jerry