Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

1999 v70 awd turbo crank no start...need some serious help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 v70 awd turbo crank no start...need some serious help

I have done extensive research and work this weekend and i am having no luck. Let me give you what i know.

car started up and and was warming up. wife put it in gear and it stalled. restarted and ran for a few seconds and stalled. has not started since.

checked fuel. fuel pump comes on for a second and shuts off.. jumpered fuel pump relay and have good voltage and fuel up to fuel pressure check valve

pulled a plug and checked for spark. no spark. checked computer codes with a tester and it comes back no errors. which to me is strange as my check engine light was on but i didn't check it. stupid of me. I checked the crank sensor and got 117 ohms on the 200 scale. I am about lost now and need some direction. For the heck of it i tried to test the mass air flow sensor check out and got no voltage to it with the key off.

to me it seems like some safty circuit is shutting it down. (example fuel pump only kicks on for a second) I even tried the immobilizer trick even though i am getting no error that would suggest that. checked all fuses i could find. looked good. checked wires and nothing obvious. battery has full charge. help

Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by enduro
I have done extensive research and work this weekend and i am having no luck. Let me give you what i know.

car started up and and was warming up. wife put it in gear and it stalled. restarted and ran for a few seconds and stalled. has not started since.

checked fuel. fuel pump comes on for a second and shuts off.. jumpered fuel pump relay and have good voltage and fuel up to fuel pressure check valve

pulled a plug and checked for spark. no spark. checked computer codes with a tester and it comes back no errors. which to me is strange as my check engine light was on but i didn't check it. stupid of me. I checked the crank sensor and got 117 ohms on the 200 scale. I am about lost now and need some direction. For the heck of it i tried to test the mass air flow sensor check out and got no voltage to it with the key off.

to me it seems like some safty circuit is shutting it down. (example fuel pump only kicks on for a second) I even tried the immobilizer trick even though i am getting no error that would suggest that. checked all fuses i could find. looked good. checked wires and nothing obvious. battery has full charge. help
is 117 ohms ok for the crank sensor

Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My guess would be that you have a bad fuel pump relay. I don't know if you can drive it when you jump it. Also, try starting it and disconnecting the MAF to see if it will drive with the MAF unplugged.

Those cars also have problems with the Electronic Throttle Control. Have you had yours rebuilt or replaced?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
My guess would be that you have a bad fuel pump relay. I don't know if you can drive it when you jump it. Also, try starting it and disconnecting the MAF to see if it will drive with the MAF unplugged.

Those cars also have problems with the Electronic Throttle Control. Have you had yours rebuilt or replaced?

ok this post has become not what to do when troubleshooting your v70.

#1 when checking for spark on plugs make sure they are grounded good. After retrying this yes i have spark
#2 when checking if you have fuel to the engine actually use a pressure checker. dont just push on the test valve and see if fuel comes out.
#3 when you are replacing a fuel pump on the turbo models make sure it is the correct one. the generic models that fit everything wont fit your turbo. take it out and match it up by pic on ebay. found a bosch for $79

#4 if you have voltage to your fuel pump make sure you can actually here it run. I had voltage to my pump but i think i broke a wire going into assembly swapping out the pump with the generic one that doesn't fit right.

case closed. operator error.......