Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

2000 v70 xc - new member, new to volvo, needs a little work!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 v70 xc - new member, new to volvo, needs a little work!

picked this car up for 1200 dollars after the guys wife nailed a mailbox. the car has 140,000 miles on it. drove the car home with the damage to front end (headlight, corner light, fender, hood, bumper) and it drove just fine and ran very well. a few things im curious about

abs and brake light both on - brakes seem to work great though?

speedo/odometer not working - when i turn car on it tells me the milage, then goes to all dashes. speedo does nothing?

service light comes on when i select winter mode?

check engine also on, but ill trouble shoot that asap.

yes, yes, i know... SEARCH! just wanted to say hi and give a general bit of info on my new baby!
thanks everyone!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM

ABS and speedo are most likely related. ABS modules on these are known issues. Head over to volvospeed.com and look up a guy "mattymoo" and he'll open it up and resolder the connections for cheaper than you'll find anywhere. Or google Victor Rocha for a little more money. Or if you feel like cracking it open yourself you can re-solder your own connections, especially around the power pins.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Dude, you scored! The ABS sensor is a $75 fix that Volvo would charge $700.00 for. Congrats and GL.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 PM

Congrats on the Volvo....I am glad it went to an enthusiast....I actually drove to Clinton to get it, but it was gone already......I am on a desperate search for one of these...

good luck with it and enjoy....

Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by lifelesslived17

speedo/odometer not working - when i turn car on it tells me the milage, then goes to all dashes. speedo does nothing?
Nice buy, Congrats. If you haven't found it yet this might help.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?p=46827

It's easy, it worked on my 850NA and still have to do it to my 850T5 and 98 V70. very common problem.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by thomaskpayne
Congrats on the Volvo....I am glad it went to an enthusiast....I actually drove to Clinton to get it, but it was gone already......I am on a desperate search for one of these...

good luck with it and enjoy....
no kidding! were you the guy on the phone with him when i picked it up? lol, we was apologizing to someone as i was getting ready to leave. anyways, we drove the car home no problem and ive allready stripped the damaged goods. picked up a black hood and fender for 200 and im waiting for the lights in the mail. back on the road by the weekend and damn is it a nice car.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 AM

I called him earlier, that day, and he told me pretty much it was gone, but at that price, i thought i would take the chance...LOL. Anyway, i have another to check out over here in Ravenna, (in fact they have two of them) but the winter mode light is flashing, and the idle is rough. I have to take my mechanic out with me. Make sure you post pics when the car is finished. I hope you get many enjoyable years from it. If you need anything....e-mail at:
thomaskpayne@yahoo.com.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by thomaskpayne
I called him earlier, that day, and he told me pretty much it was gone, but at that price, i thought i would take the chance...LOL. Anyway, i have another to check out over here in Ravenna, (in fact they have two of them) but the winter mode light is flashing, and the idle is rough. I have to take my mechanic out with me. Make sure you post pics when the car is finished. I hope you get many enjoyable years from it. If you need anything....e-mail at:
thomaskpayne@yahoo.com.
ill definately keep in touch as its nice to know a fellow enthusiast is nearby! here are some pics from when we got her home, and a pic from last night in the garage.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 v70 xc - new member, new to volvo, needs a little work!-img00139.jpg   2000 v70 xc - new member, new to volvo, needs a little work!-img00141.jpg   2000 v70 xc - new member, new to volvo, needs a little work!-img00142.jpg   2000 v70 xc - new member, new to volvo, needs a little work!-img00147.jpg  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by lifelesslived17
picked this car up for 1200 dollars after the guys wife nailed a mailbox. the car has 140,000 miles on it. drove the car home with the damage to front end (headlight, corner light, fender, hood, bumper) and it drove just fine and ran very well. a few things im curious about

service light comes on when i select winter mode?

check engine also on, but ill trouble shoot that asap.

yes, yes, i know... SEARCH! just wanted to say hi and give a general bit of info on my new baby!
thanks everyone!
If you have a problem with the module,try this http://www.carinstructions.com/volvo...70-abs-module/. I wrote this after i tried it on my '98 and it worked fine,still works.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by buci
If you have a problem with the module,try this http://www.carinstructions.com/volvo...70-abs-module/. I wrote this after i tried it on my '98 and it worked fine,still works.
i have done some research on this and have found the solder joints go bad and simply need reflowed. im curios as to how you think pushing the cover for the harness to the side helps. im not doubting that this worked for you, just have a hard time seeing how this could possibly work, even a little. in the picture in really looks as if all you have done is tweak the cover. your thoughts?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:34 PM

To be honest with you i don't really know what the hell it does but it works (well..sometimes). I do not want to take it apart now that it's still working, when it goes dead on me i will take it out and see what's goin on inside. Maybe when you stick something in there and wedge the module something inside start to make contact again. I tried this in 3 different v70/s70 and it worked on 2 of them,that thing is still working on mine after a year but it didn't work on one of my coworker's v70.Lol
You don't lose anything anyway by trying it (always if the module is the culprit because it might be just a bad abs sensor) and post it here,i am curious to know.

Last edited by buci; 02-12-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by buci
To be honest with you i don't really know what the hell it does but it works (well..sometimes). I do not want to take it apart now that it's still working, when it goes dead on me i will take it out and see what's goin on inside. Maybe when you stick something in there and wedge the module something inside start to make contact again. I tried this in 3 different v70/s70 and it worked on 2 of them,that thing is still working on mine after a year but it didn't work on one of my coworker's v70.Lol
You don't lose anything anyway by trying it (always if the module is the culprit because it might be just a bad abs sensor) and post it here,i am curious to know.
so two of the screws that hold my abs module to the pump assembly are stripped out, bummer. i started looking at taking the whole pump assembly off and decided id wait til warmer weather. when i started putting the wire harness back on i said "what the hell, ill try to do that crazy thing dude suggested". IT WORKED. save the "i told ya so", lol, i feel like an horses hind end allready. thanks

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM

I am happy i could help buddy,enjoy it.