Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

97 v70 2.5 t awd prospective purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 v70 2.5 t awd prospective purchase

ive been offered a 97 v70 2.5 turbo awd estate and i was just looking for some info on them i would be getting rid of my 97 2ltr 10v estate which has been a fantastic car .i was just after a little more power. am i right in thinking the 2.5 only has a low pressure turbo so is there scope for tuning or should i just get a t5 thanx in advance for any response russ

Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do you know what you want?

Hello, At the moment you have a car you love which burns regular grade fuel. The AWD you've been offered has the "bad", first generation, bevel gear which would benifit from the addition of a drain and fill hole/plug. Also, it requires mid or premium fuel. You will get "a little more power". Being it's a 1997 the upgrade programs and parts are more widely available. Advantages there include lower prices to fit older systems and more years of consumer feedback. Were you to "...just get a t5" you'd be shopping for a top level Volvo. That's quite a difference from being "...just after a LITTLE more power." So, 1) How attractive was the offer for the 1997 AWD? 2) Will the additional power be worth the bevel gear update-and future matched tire headaches required by the AWD system. 3) Factor in the costs of an aftermarket tuning package and premium fuel. 4) Don't overlook the price of bringing this 13 year old car up to par regarding basic maintenance. If you go for it, may I buy your current fantastic car? Kira ps As always, NEVER-EVER tell us the mileage or trim level of the cars in a post. Gentle sarcasm; you can take it. K

Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM

awd has 128000 miles on it and as for spec it appears to have everything . the fuel you were on about is not an issue as im in england but what is this beval box your on about cheers russ

Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Default Bevel gear

Hello, The bevel gear is an assembly which allows the power coming from a transversely mounted engine to make a 90 degree turn and be sent down a conventional driveshaft to the rear wheels. It contains a differential. The first generation of this unit was said to have been rushed to market and has a high rate of failure. I don't know a specific percentage but you don't want to be among the losers. There are machine shops which repair them-once you remove it. Many claim to have drilled a drain and fill hole (and tapped threads for a plug) into the housing. Finding a used one is a bad crap shoot. Buying a new one at a dealer is the end of the world. Additionally, this system is said to need EXACTLY matched tyres or you'll burn the bevel gear up in short order. Religeous tyre rotation is required. Obtaining premium fuel wasn't my concern. Paying the premium for ever might be for you. How much would the '97 cost? Kira

Old 05-15-2010, 06:29 AM

97/99/99 octane fuel costs about 3-4 pence more than regular 95 grade fuel here in England.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 AM

ive bought it i got the car for £800 and appart from having tatty wheel arches is sweet ive had it on the ramp for a poke around and the bevel drive has a level plug on the side it looks like its allways been there and not a retrofit

Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Default Bravo, tonka12

Hello, Congrats on your purchase. May you have the best of luck with it. Are "...tatty wheel arches" rusty wheel arches? You now can pick tuning hardware and software. You'd best make a list of features and prices as there are many to choose from. IPD offers chips and knowhow. Bits for your 1997 will be less expensive. BSR makes a tuner which plugs into the OBD port. If I read their advertising correctly you won't even get your hands dirty. Even exhaust systems and upgrades are less expensive for this vintage. Volvospeed and the V70 R forum come up all the time when people talk tuning a Volvo. Post back and tell us what you have in mind. Also, how much will you sell your 2 litre for? To silestanix: 3-4p more for premium seems like a good deal. Here in New Jersey premium will be ~15% more. Kira