Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

98 V70 GLT, noises and questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 V70 GLT, noises and questions...

Hi everyone, I bought a 1998 V70 GLT (150k miles) about 4 months ago...and now I have some q's...

1. When I start my car in the morning and start driving, I hear a humming noise (about 50-60hz), it goes away after I drive for about 45 seconds. What could this be?

2. When im driving over semi bumpy roads, I hear loud creaking noises comming from the top of the dash...is this common?

3. Has anyone installed a BOV (blow off valve) on this year? Is it hard? Which one do you recommend?

4. Which cold air intake and exhaust system do you reccommend for this car (gas is killing me)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer up.

Sean McLaughlin

Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Default RE: 98 V70 GLT, noises and questions...

Anyone?[&o]

Old 07-12-2007, 06:58 PM

ok i'll get it started.

1. May be your air pump.
2. You may have a broken dash mount and/or loose mount
3 s70driver can help you with that question, but i don't think it would be hard.
4. s70driver again can help you why don't you pm him.I tried a pod filter with a standard exhaust, it scared my kids they thought darth vader was in the car so i removed it....but it worked well

Other than that your volvo sounds like it's in pretty good shape.

goodluck

v70 2.4t

Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: rukkis777

Hi everyone, I bought a 1998 V70 GLT (150k miles) about 4 months ago...and now I have some q's...

1. When I start my car in the morning and start driving, I hear a humming noise (about 50-60hz), it goes away after I drive for about 45 seconds. What could this be?

2. When im driving over semi bumpy roads, I hear loud creaking noises comming from the top of the dash...is this common?

3. Has anyone installed a BOV (blow off valve) on this year? Is it hard? Which one do you recommend?

4. Which cold air intake and exhaust system do you reccommend for this car (gas is killing me)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer up.

Sean McLaughlin
3. Yes many people have put BOV's on this model Volvo. You have a couple options. Also if your an automatic transmission you will only hear the BOV go off when you let off the gas.

a. Buy the SAMCO hose and SAMCO BOV and install it that way. These can be bought from Viva Performance.

b. Buy a Universial BOV and have the Aluminum flange welded to your Aluminum upper intercooler pipe. I recommend a HKS SSQV and or TIAL for the BOV's.

4. As far as an intake goes you have a couple options.

a. EST (EuroSportTuning). They have an intake. I have one on my car. I love it.

b. BMC CDA intake. This can be bought from Viva Performance.

Now onto an exhaust system. You want a freeier flowing exhaust system. You should get a mandrel bent system because that will be much more free flowing then a crush bent system.

A 3" mandrel bent downpipe is where you will see the most performance gains in a upgraded exhaust system. And since your not upgrading your turbo to something bigger a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system will do the trick. Now there are a few places you can buy these items at.

-EST (EuroSportTuning), these guys sell downpipes and catback systems for the Volvo's.
-Viva Performance also sells both the downpipe and the catback systems.
-IPD USA sells a catback system for your car.
-I personally would look into a local muffler shop that can mandrel bent to have both the downpipe and the catback system made at. It should cost less then buying them premade. And use a straight through design muffler. An example would be a Magnaflow and or BORLA.

As far as gas mileage goes. It may increase but do not expect it to at all or by much if it does.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 AM

Thanks, you guys are alot of help....one more question! Theres this accordian type plastic pipe in the verty front looks like its comming from the top of the radiator/fan area...it feeds into a box in the very front behind the pass headlight, looks like there are some types of computer in there...ok, this pipe is ripped apart bad there the accordian section is....what is this? Is it a must fix soon part?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: rukkis777

Thanks, you guys are alot of help....one more question! Theres this accordian type plastic pipe in the verty front looks like its comming from the top of the radiator/fan area...it feeds into a box in the very front behind the pass headlight, looks like there are some types of computer in there...ok, this pipe is ripped apart bad there the accordian section is....what is this? Is it a must fix soon part?
Um yeah that is a very important pipe. It is called your air intake pipe. It is getting fresh air from the front of the car and is feeding into your airbox so that that car can run. Fix this ASAP.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed that pipe on my car today! It was half gone when I bought the car. I bought it from www.eEuroparts.com, but had to special order it (and it took some work to find the part number - I think tech eventually posted it for me). I don't know if this helps but on the '99 it was part number 8619305. It was $16.85 on partsdirect.com, but I talked to Dean at eEuroparts.com and he got it for me for $15.90. (I thought about just using some flexible tubing from Home Depot or something, but I preferred the clean look and an easy fit). By the way, the piece that was dangling just popped out and the new one popped in.