Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

98 V70 Non Turbo Alternator???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 V70 Non Turbo Alternator???

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum, I just bought a used V70 with 91k on it, I have put 2500 on it since owning it for a few weeks (yes, I do drive a lot). My problem is I think the alternator is bad but I am unsure how to tell. Tommorow I will start it up and check voltage comming out of it. I should get 24v right? The issue I am having is that when driving the radio with just stop playing, at first I though nothing of it. But a few days ago it stalled out while taking a left turn at a busy intersection her in Phoenix, luckily it started right up and had no further problems, until today. I left Phoenix, and drove up to Prescott, which is 130 plus miles from home. No problems until the return trip. As it was getting dark, I noticed the lights dim when hitting the brakes coming home on the highway, the radio went off a few times I quickly checked the guages but everything else was ok. After getting back and being sure I was going to get stranded many miles from home, I got home no problem but for sure everytime I braked the headlights dimmed and came back.

After pulling into my neighbor hood I goosed the throttle and got the engine do die out and quickly restart, coasted in to my driveway, applied the brakes goosed it got it to stall, restarted with no problem though. I hope this post makes sense, I have had a very long day and would like som help if possible. Also, the owners I got the car from has all the mainenance records from when the bought the car at the local Volvo dealer with 18k on it. It is in super shape.

I also have one other problem that I must let you know about, the check engine light is on and I went to autozone and the put the tester on it and it came up as a PO455 fault code, which I have learned is a evaporative leak. I hear when I shut down the engine a whisle noise from under the hood near the front passenger tire, but I have not had the time to investigate further. Since the car was running fine have left it alone for now. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for the advice and help

Bo in Phoenix

Old 04-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 V70 Non Turbo Alternator???

Hi, as a follow up to last nights post I went out and tested the alternator voltage and was getting 13.5 volts, is this enough? I know usually you would like to see 14 or so. Also the battery terminal is very corroded so I will clean it off later but I would have thought that would have prevented it from starting not this sudden loss of all power on the electrical side.

Thanks for help and any responses would be appreciated.

Bo