Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

98 v70 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 v70 not starting

Ok My sisters 98 v70 AT won't start.

The battery is strong all lights come on, radio etc. Fuel pump primes when key turns to power on/acc but as soon as the key is turned to start there is nothing no clicking from relays or any thing. I noticed the shifter button was a little stuck so I unstuck it, put it in N and same thing. As soon as the key is turned to the start position there is is silence except for a bell which I assume is seat belt chime.

Any Ideas?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Just googling, (is that in the dictionary yet?) for 10 min. it seems like the pnp switch could be the problem. Some say to row through the gears a dozen or so times to get it to make contact again. I'll tell her to try that and see what happens.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a chance that her battery is low. Have her hold it for at least 5 seconds to see if it turns over. If it doesn't turn over than I would expect the PNP switch or starter.

The battery can be something like 10 volts and operate the lights, then when she goes to turn the ket to start it can drop all the way down to 6.5 volts and not turn the starter. My battery sits at about 10.5 volts and drops to 7.5 volts and barely cranks my car. Takes a few seconds to start but it does.

Please remember that it's winter time. Boarder line batteries are dropping like flies.

Last edited by rspi; 11-26-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Ok car started two days later than my first post, it was 20deg warmer outside. I was not able to test or diagnose anything and they never got the codes checked so I don't know if there was any new codes. So anyway the temperature dropped two days ago and the will not start again.

Battery had 12 volts. There was no power to the white starter connector in the main fuse box when key is turned to 3. I took the immobilizing antenna out and cleaned it. Also I can't feel the starter relay click when key is turned to 3.
And i noticed one of her keys slipped out of the ignition in position 2 and the key looked a little warn down.

I'm stumped. I don't really know where to continue> It would have been nice to have it scanned when it was running to see if that lead anywhere.

I am thinking ignition switch or immobilizing unit.

I am also having a hard time finding info on a lot of this stuff, there are numerous Volvo forums and each one is set up differently and just searching for any sort of write up is very time consuming.
But I am very grateful for any advice any one can give me. Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

No appology needed. We don't mind reading a book.

What we do need is clarity of what is going on. From what I can understand, you turn the key and nothing happens, no cranking, no nothing. That usually indicates that you have a bad battery connection or ignition switch. You may want to clean off the battery post. With never cars, post 1990, they get corroded without the big glob of corrosion. They build a very thin layer of corrosion on the post that you usually really can't see.

Other than that, make sure your other battery cable connections are good, clean and tight as well.