Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

98 V70 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 V70 starting problems

This car has always started and run well until a few days ago. Here's what happened:
Sat Morning, Temp 2 Deg: Started fine drove about 40mi.
Sat Afternoon, Temp 10 Deg: Would not start. Turned over fine but no fire. If I let off for a second or so and tried again, it would fire once then nothing. Tried several more times, same thing.
Sun Morning, Temp -1 Deg: Same thing. Charged battery
Sun Afternoon, Temp 18 Deg: Got it to start. ran rough for a minute then smoothed out. Check Engine Light is on. Ran it about 20 min, drove it to auto parts store and checked OBD. Code P0192 (had this before, but always ran fine).
Mon Morning, Temp 0 Deg: Would not start. Called nearest Volvo Dealer (50 mi away). They told me it could be fouled plugs and suggested I push the throttle to the floor and try starting it. Didn't start.
Tue Afternoon, Temp 14 Deg: Bought a set of NGK spark plugs and installed (Gapped to spec). Old plugs did look black and fouled. Car would not start.
Wed Afternoon, Temp 21 Deg: Took the NGK plugs back out. I could smell gas on them so I know I'm getting fuel. Cleaned my original (Volvo) plugs up and put them back in. The car started immediately and ran smooth.
Today, Temp 23 Deg: Took a couple of trys but it started and ran fine once it did. Check engine light is still on.

Temps are going back in the deep freeze today, and I can't help but think this is might be part of the problem. Any thoughts on what I should try next???

Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

So far so good. It's back to it's smooth running self. I bought a set of wires as a next step in the event it dies again. I am still puzzled as to why the engine would not start with NGK plugs. Two different people at the auto parts came up with the same number and I looked it up online as well. The NGK plugs are the classic spark gap plugs, where the Volvo plugs are the Bosch tri-arc style. Has anyone else had similar issues?