Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

99 v70 non-turbo - where is the ETM/throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 v70 non-turbo - where is the ETM/throttle body?

Hi everybody,

I am pretty sure I've got the ETM issue on my '99 v70 (Automatic 2.4L). ETS and check engine lights are on constantly, and the ECU is putting out various ETM-related codes. I recently heard about the recall and contacted Volvo, but they say I'm not covered because my car has a salvage title.

So before I spend $600+ on a new ETM unit, I thought I'd try removing and cleaning the throttle body. I got the gasket, and read the service bulletin and a bunch of forum posts, and figured it would be a quick job. Unfortunately after a couple hours of trying to figure this out, I am just confused. Either my engine is totally different from the other '99 v70s I see online, or I am just dumb.

Can someone tell me where the ETM unit is located on this car? From what I can tell it looks like it's at the front of the engine, underneath the intake manifold, but I cannot reach it because the manifold is totally in the way. I can just squeeze one hand down there between the IM and fan, and I only can feel one bolt that I can't even see. If that is the ETM, I'm going to have to completely remove either the manifold or the whole fan/shroud assembly to get to it. I can't reach it from underneath the car either.

I followed the hoses from the air box and the radiator, I looked on the sides of the intake manifold, in back of the engine, etc. I had a friend step on the gas pedal to see if I could see any linkage moving and trace it that way. I saw nothing moving.

NONE of the other sources I've seen mention anything about this. Everyone says it's an easy job, just undo this air hose and 4 bolts and a connector or two, but I can't find any photos that confirm I'm even looking in the right place. The service bulletin nor the forum posts I've read mention removing the fan shroud or intake manifold.

Thanks in advance for any help. I can provide photos if necessary.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Dirt doesn't kill the ETM. They are a bad besign and fail. Replacement is the only option. There is a redesigned ETM that has the problem eliminated. If you send yours in they will rebuild it. When you install it back on your car there is no need to go to the dealer for programming because you are installing the one that came from your car. I think FCP carries it. I don't know were you live but for those that live in the GTA (Toronto) the rebuilder is in Mississauga.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that since the only symptom I have (besides the dash lights and ODBII codes) is a surging idle, I could just give it a good cleaning and go for another year or so before replacing it. This car is a daily driver so I'd have a problem while the ETM is off waiting for XeMODeX to send the replacement.

I did find a good step-by-step at http://fixyouretm.com/DIY_replacement.html in case anyone else has this question.