Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

(Almost) new v70 owner needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Almost) new v70 owner needs advice

hi guys... so heres the deal.
First off... I am searching as i speak... , i know how car boards like to say "search is your freind".

I am thinking of buying a 98 v70 AWD (XC?) turbo with 96,xxx miles from a used dealer. the car is real clean and straight and about $4,000-$5,000 under blue book. (asking $4995, but could get for $4500-$4750) mthe reason its so far under blue book is this-

The issues that i know of:
CEL on (getting codes checked in AM)
most locks dont work with the lock/unlock button
passenger side rear seat latch won't unlatch (not a big deal, as car seats will occupy the rear seat)
radio does not work - reads "off" only and nothing when the power button is pushed.
salesman said rear windows don't go down, but i forgot to check as it was just an initialcursory look over

granted i know i need to look things over a bit more in detail. i have a used car inspection in the AM at local Volvo dealer. I guess my questions are thus:

1. does this sound like a train wreck i should run from, or given the asking price worth the chance?
2. are there any "most common" engine codes that trip on this model?
3. are most things realtively easy to fix with some technical savvy and help from all you guys?

thank you
Hope to post more (if i buy the car)...

tim

Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (Almost) new v70 owner needs advice

I think it's a bit high.

Plusses:
[ul][*]low mileage[*]clean/straight[/ul]Minuses:
[ul][*]CEL - need to know the codes to know what it could be[*]locks - lock actuators run around $140/ea, lock/window switch packs run $50 - $150 Actuator replacement is becoming common as these age.[*]Radio "Off" = needs code. If original radio, dealer can look it up. Might be lucky and find the radio code card. If radio was replaced, and no code available, it's useless. Replacement $100+[*]Rear window lifts = $400 each. Keep in mind they're only supposed go down halfway.[/ul]
You'll find differing opinions on the reliability of the XC's AWD. The AWD's bevel gear is quite pricey to replace. I don't need AWD where I live, so it wasn't worth the risk for me.

Is the dealer offering any warranty? Any service records available? Recent CarFax? Has the timing belt been replaced (should have a sticker in the engine compartment)? Can you do maintenance/repairs yourself, or are you looking at paying for the labor to take care of the issues you bring up?

Oh yeah, confirm that it's actually the "Check Engine" light that's illuminated. If it turns out to be the "Service" light, I wouldn't worry. Service just means that the car is due for an oil change, or the light wasn't reset after the last oil change. This year V70 takes a special tool to reset the service light, so most non-Volvo shops can't reset it.

If the codes aren't anything major, and I really liked the condition, I'd point out all the flaws and maybe offer $4K and see if they bite. If you're patient, there's always another great Volvo just around the corner...