Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Brake upgrade need help... questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade need help... questions

Hello all. I have a 1999 v70 with 280mm disks. I need new disks and pads and was going to go with the FCP Groton upgrade pack on e-bay however they say it is only good up to chassis #566120 and my chassis # is 578851. I need brakes now as mine are about gone plus my calipers are groove salad/trench if you catch my drift. If anyone can advise I would be greatly appreciative.

These are the specs for the brake package. look at very bottom of page

FCP Groton, LLC

NEW VOLVO 850 V/C/S70
ULTIMATE BRAKE KIT

Auction is for the following:
2 Front Cross Drilled Rotors (List Price $208.08 for the pair, Volvo # 271788)
2 Rear Cross Drilled Rotors (List Price $176.62 for the Pair, Volvo # 271794)
2 Front Stainless Steel Brake Lines
2 Rear Stainless Steel Brake Lines (List Price $125 for a set of 4)
Rear Teflon Shims (List Price $8.00 for set of 4, Volvo #1228590)
Front Brake Pads (List Price $63.41, Volvo # 9485593)
Rear Brake Pads (List Price $43.82 Volvo # 271758)
Silicon Brake Paste (List Price $12.51, Volvo # 1161325)
Total list price $637.44...This is what you would pay at a Volvo Dealer
Save big over list and upgrade your brakes also!
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
The auction is for the following items

Front and Rear Mintex Brake pads

Tired of the Brake Dust and Loud Noise from your original Volvo Brake Pads?
Mintex /SBF Brake Pads offer:
Zero Dust
Zero Noise
Superior Stopping Power and Performance
Long Brake Pad Life
Organic Material will not tear apart your brake discs like a metallic pad

Mintex/SBF Brake Pads & Shoes
The Mintex Red Box program offers application specific friction materials to give the best braking performance. Mintex uses a variety of adhesives and organic fibers, mixed with a sensitive lubricant base and resin structure to produce finely balanced friction materials designed to deliver stable performance over a wide range of applications and environmental conditions. The Red Box materials are virtually dust and noise free, keeping alloy wheels in prime condition while optimizing the drivers level of comfort. Additionally, the Mintex friction materials are environmentally friendly as no heavy metals or asbestos are used in their manufacture.

Teflon Shims

Brake Silicone paste

Four (4) Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines for the front and rear

We have taken the original Volvo brake lines and custom built these new stainless steel brake lines to EXACT specifications of the original equipment

These retail for over $120.00

Every one of our stainless steel brake lines are pressure tested at 4,500 psi before it is packed and shipped.

WHY CHOOSE STAINLESS STEEL OVER RUBBER BRAKE HOSE?
Stainless steel brake lines provide superior protection from flying roadway debris.
Stainless Steel Brake Lines reduce expansion during pressurization (In other words, they stop much faster!!!!!)
Improved Look on the vehicle
Our Braided Stainless Steel Brake Hoses will greatly increase the rigidity of the hose under pressure while still allowing adequate flexibility for wheel end movement.
You don't need to be a race car driver to benefit from brake upgrades!!!!
IMPORTANT
WILL FIT THE FOLLOWING VOLVO MODELS
1994-1997 Volvo 850 (ALL MODELS INCLUDING TURBO)
All 1998 volvo s70, v 70 and c 70 models WITH 280 mm front discs (11 inch)
1999 Volvo C70 models up to chassis 010849
1999 Volvo S70 models up to chassis 587049
1999 Volvo V70 models up to chassis 566120
*The chassis number refers to the last 6 digits of your Vehicle Identification Number!

Old 01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brake upgrade need help... questions

OK, here's the deal. I have a BMW that is driven on the track. I have drilled rotors (Brembo and frozen) Red Stuff brake pads, stainless caliper hoses, all in addition to the Hartge Gruppe II brake package. Does the auto stop better than a stock BMW? Sure does! Do you need all of that for a station wagon? Nope. Why purchase that material when the Volvo is way to heavy to even autocross? The point I am trying to make is that you have a passenger auto that I am presuming you are driving as such. Volvo has pretty darn good brakes from the factory and I would not alter from that set up. When you perform your rotor and pad change, the most important thing you could do to improve your brakes is to totally change your DOT IV fluid by either pressure or vacuum bleeding.
Reg

Old 01-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note taken however when I'm crusing at 100+ mph on I75 I want to be able to stop as fast as possible just in case something happens i.e. FHP, also they are better than factory so why not spend a few $ more in order to get better brakes...I need new disks and pads anyway. Plus it will increase the value of the vehicle. I appriciate the concern though.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:22 PM
reg

When you go to sell it...................the potential buyer may well be put off because of the drilled rotors................he may be thinking that you are hot rodding the auto? Incidently, the Volvo will haul down from 100 plus on I 75 and I 96 just fine................I do it often with a c70 and quasi stock brakes. I do use Brembo rotors on my c70 with ceramic pads. In addition I use Ate Super Blue brake fluid. But.................don't sell the stock brakes short.
Reg

Old 01-14-2006, 10:26 PM
reg

By the way............have you checked out ipd's after market brake sets? If you are set in your mind to change, check out their ideas.
Reg

Old 01-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You want to go bigger then 280? You need 17" rims or bigger.