Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Cam Position sensor leaking Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Position sensor leaking Oil?

Hi All, New to the forum here and need a little advice. My Mom (lives out of town from me) has a 98 V70 with a non turbo 2.4 and it may have an oil leak. She has told me that she found out driving one day that it had no oil in it and some mechanic needed to put 4 qts in it to get her home. Next day she brings it to another mechanic to look for a leak and he said that the Cam Position sensor was leaking and he suggested replacing that along with resealing the Cam cover and while he was in there, also replace the Cam belt and tensioners. Now from what Mom has told me, the mechanic didn't pull the timing belt cover and only put it on a lift and looked around. I'm heading out to Mom's house to check this out in person and was wondering if the Cam Pos sensor could actually leak oil on this engine or if the guy was just pulling a fast one on her. I'm not too familiar with this engine as I'm more of a Dodge guy and was wondering if you all knew what to look for on this engine. I appreciate any help you can provide, Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 AM

I am no expert, so wait for an opinion from a more qualified person.
However, I would suggest that you check out the link below. Apparently the cam position sensor can leak, but I don't know if it would leak 4 quarts (that seems like an awful lot to me). Also, based on that link, there is no need to remove the cam cover in order to fix a leaky cam position sensor.
Again, wait for more responses. I hope this helps. Cheers.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=88318

Last edited by rmendoza; 03-06-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a seal that commonly leaks behind the cam sensor.
But usually also the vent system is plugged somewhere to make the seal blow out.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Hi Guys, Thanks for the great advice and the link to the other place with the pics of the repair!! Okay, Update, took off the Cam sensor and YES it is leaking from the seal behind it. I'm trying to locate the part locally out here in my neck of the woods. Might just have to drive an hr out to the Volvo dealer though. Tech, where and what should I check as far as the venting system being clogged and blowing out the seal? I'm assuming a bad PCV valve might be a place to check? Also if so, where would I look to find the thing? All you guys help has been great and THANK YOU so much!! Prop

Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The car doesn't have a PCV valve.

The vent boxes clog or the small lines coming off of it.

Sadly the best thing would be to replace the box and check all the hoses good.