Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

can't shift out of park, can't take key out of ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't shift out of park, can't take key out of ignition

Hello,

We bought a 2002 Volvo v70 a couple weeks ago. We had a Volvo shop check it out before we bought it, they found a couple problems with it and we negotiated the price to account for the cost of the repairs. One repair they said needed to be done was to change the sensor in the car that senses a chip that's apparently embedded inside the key. The symptom that we were told this would present would be that the key would be difficult to remove from the ignition.

We've had this problem and have been planning to take the car in and get it changes (fortunately we haven't sold my wife's old car yet). Yesterday, my wife found that she couldn't shift the car out of park. We tried a couple things we read about on the internet: rocking the car, trying to shift out of park with the key in the accessory position. The key in the accessory position worked. It did it again today and it wasn't as easy, but eventually she was able to get the car going again.

Could this problem be the chip sensor? What type of safety interlocks does this car have to prevent shifting out of park? Could it be a switch that senses that the brakes are applied is bad or something like that?

-Eric

Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM

The immobilizer won't stop you from shifting out of park.

When you press on the brake can you hear the servo release the shift lever and allow it to be shifted from park (when the key is on)?

It sounds like you have two separate issues. A bad ignition cylinder and a bad shift interlock.

There is a plug at the top of the brake pedal arm, make sure it is connected. If it is, and you hear a "click" in the center console when you push the brake, you may have to remove the trim plate around the shift lever to see if something has come dislodged.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by JTapper
The immobilizer won't stop you from shifting out of park.

When you press on the brake can you hear the servo release the shift lever and allow it to be shifted from park (when the key is on)?

It sounds like you have two separate issues. A bad ignition cylinder and a bad shift interlock.

There is a plug at the top of the brake pedal arm, make sure it is connected. If it is, and you hear a "click" in the center console when you push the brake, you may have to remove the trim plate around the shift lever to see if something has come dislodged.
Would this be the same switch that makes the brake lights come on? If so, I'd assume that if the brake lights come on when it's doing this, the switch itself is good and is something else that's wrong.

-Eric

Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM

So you're hearing the click from the center console when you apply the brakes?

If so, and you still can't shift out of park, something is likely dislodged in the shift mechanism.

This could also explain the key being stuck in the ignition, since the car may "think" it is still in gear and not allow the key to be removed.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM

So you're hearing the click from the center console when you apply the brakes?

If so, and you still can't shift out of park, something is likely dislodged in the shift mechanism.

This could also explain the key being stuck in the ignition, since the car may "think" it is still in gear and not allow the key to be removed.
The shop that looked at the car said they read a code from the computer that there was a problem with the chip sensor, so I think we probably have two problems.

The car hasn't refused to shift out of park in a while, but I did test it and I could distinctly hear a click when I'd press on the brake. There appear to be two interlocks, one based off the ignition switch and one based off the brake pedal. When the key is in the "on" or "accessory" position, I can hear it click and I can shift out of park. When the car is turned toward off from the accessory position, but before you actually remove the key, I can still hear the click when I press the brake pedal, but I cannot shift out of park.

Do you know if the same switch turns on the brake lights as sends the signal to the brake/shifter interlock?

-Eric

Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ewgoforth
The shop that looked at the car said they read a code from the computer that there was a problem with the chip sensor, so I think we probably have two problems.

The car hasn't refused to shift out of park in a while, but I did test it and I could distinctly hear a click when I'd press on the brake. There appear to be two interlocks, one based off the ignition switch and one based off the brake pedal. When the key is in the "on" or "accessory" position, I can hear it click and I can shift out of park. When the car is turned toward off from the accessory position, but before you actually remove the key, I can still hear the click when I press the brake pedal, but I cannot shift out of park.

Do you know if the same switch turns on the brake lights as sends the signal to the brake/shifter interlock?

-Eric
If it weren't 33 degrees and raining right now I would check for sure, since I can't find it in VADIS. If your brake lights are working and you can hear the click that likely isn't the issue.

FYI: There is also a mechanical cable that goes from the ignition to the gear selector that stops you from shifting out of park unless the ignition is in at least position I. Tech can chime in if he knows of it failing, but it's a possibility.

Have you had the car not start for you and gotten the immobilizer message in the info display?

Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 PM

If it weren't 33 degrees and raining right now I would check for sure, since I can't find it in VADIS. If your brake lights are working and you can hear the click that likely isn't the issue.

FYI: There is also a mechanical cable that goes from the ignition to the gear selector that stops you from shifting out of park unless the ignition is in at least position I. Tech can chime in if he knows of it failing, but it's a possibility.

Have you had the car not start for you and gotten the immobilizer message in the info display?
It's only refuse to shift out of park twice so far, and the last time was a few days ago. So I haven't had a chance to listen for the click while it won't shift out of park.

We haven't had a problem with getting the car to start (yet). The problem we've seen is that you can't take the key out of the ignition. Would we see a message understandable to an ordinary person on the dashboard display in this scenario?

-Eric

Old 01-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Eric, I had a very similar problem on my 2000 V70 XC and I don't believe it has anything to do with the immobilizer. On my car it was the mechanical cable that runs from the ignition switch to the shift lever. At first I just couldn't take out the key - had to play with the shift lever and jiggle the key to take it out. Then it wouldn't let me put it in gear. I took apart the center console and found out that the mechanism around the shift lever that the cable runs to was getting clogged with all kinds of crud and that prevented it from moving. I took it apart, cleaned it and greased it, put it back together and now I've had absolutely no issues for the few months since then.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 PM

If you want some screenshots of detailed diagrams of the cable let me know.

Last edited by JTapper; 01-30-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Default Cant remove ignition key

I am having the same problem--unable to remove the ignition key. I would like to clean and adjust both ends of the interlock cable. If you have photos of how to get at the linkages, I would be grateful for the information.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Yes pics would be nice for future reference. My c70 had some issues with turning or removing the key. After some jiggling around I'm convinced it's the cylinder. Whatever switch in there that senses the key or position is misaligned or has too much slack. Sometimes it chimes like a key is in when it isn't, sometimes key won't turn or some out. The solution inky case is to turn the key quickly, both on and off.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The ignition key is linked to the shifter. Make sure the shifter is all the way in park and the shifter release button is all the way out.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 AM

i have right now a similar issue with my v70, had to wiggle with the sifter lock button and the override button to be able to get the key out, or shift from park in gear after starting... after reading this forum i was worried to eventualy en up with 500 parts onmy driveway so i decided to use a new approach.. got the shop vac out and cleaned really well around the shifter lock buttons etc.... it all works fine now......