Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Clanking/clunking sound coming from rear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking/clunking sound coming from rear?

I have a '98 V70 turbo AWD and I just bought it,when driving it at low speeds there is a clunking, clanking sound coming from the rear end and middle of car. It's really loud at times and other times it just clanks, clank clank clank and sometimes it just clunks real loud? It sounds like the rear end is going out, but when I floor it no sound at all, and no sound on the expressway but I have vibration at 60 that is not tire related there all brand new, but the fact that no sound the more torque I put on the rear end, makes want to rule out rear end, trans, etc.. I also have a low speed vibration, too. It also makes the clunking sound when turning.
i need help with this problem, I bought the car with 166,000 miles and a turbo problem, I fixed that already, but now this, I only paid 1200.00 so I would like to fix myself and my mechanic doesn't know what it is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15343/6609341BF4F44E1DA6414FDBFE173B2C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Clanking/clunking sound coming from rear?

Might be a bad driveshaft.
They are known to go bad.
Remove the driveshaft the drive it and see if the noise is gone.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 AM

I kind of thought that is was the propshaft but I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what on the propshaft goes bad.Is it the coupler or the center bearing or anyof the othersections. The prop shaft itself looksbrand new, and alsojust to add,when I drive it in winter mode no sound at all, drove it all day in winter mode and nothing. In sport mode it is less likley to do it and in econmy it does it all the time.

I know that the system is set up to turn the rear wheels less than the front wheels or lock the rear wheels in place more when it senses traction loss, and also it is set up to turn the rear wheels slower when stopping, by way of the viscous coupler, and some kind of module. My abs module is shot both abs and tracs off light is on I was wonder if this may be causing this problem.

But I really want to know what exactly goes wrong with the propshaft that causes this sound?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The outer couplers.
The boot tears and the joint in there goes bad.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 PM

Sounds like my wife's 2002 V70 w 44k. I even got under the car to check the drive shaft. It turns out that it was the wear shims on the rear brake pads. The rotors were slightly scored but I was able to salvage them w a light turning. Although this doesn't fit your symptoms, another thing to watch for is the upper engine mount. Check the rubber center for cracking.
Bob

Old 03-26-2008, 08:08 PM

jpmarley, if I didn't know better, I'd swear that I sold you my car in my sleep...

Same EXACT issues at 156k. I've replaced the driveshaft. Still have the clunking on tight radius turns. Replaced wheels, hub bearing,and tires and had them rebalanced MANY times...still have the BAD vibration at 65+ mph.

I've run it without the driveshaft and I can't remember if the issues got much better, mostly because that's when I realized the front hubs were making the noise. I'd be interested in knowing what you find out. Some tell me it's the 'angle gear' that powers the propshaft, not the shaft itself. I have new bearings for the viscous coupler if that turns out to be it, but I'll probably just yank all that stuff again and see what happens.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Default 850 turbo

My volvo 850 turbo, is making almost a clanking noise everytime i take a left turn. Does anyone know what could be causing thing? thanks.