Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Front rotors shot at 35K miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front rotors shot at 35K miles

Hey all- did a search first before posting, but didn't find a whole lot. My '06 V70 was at the dealer to fix the "passenger airbag off" light that keeps lighting up even when an adult passenger is present. I didn't ask them to do anything else, but when they called saying the work was done, they also recommended - get this - front pads and rotors, for a total of $560. My first reaction was "how come the rotors are shot already t 35K miles?" Second reaction was that that seems like a lot of $$$ for that job, but it's a dealer so I guess I'm not surprised. Needless to say, I didn't have them do the brake job. I wanted a look myself.

At home, I popped off the RH tire to have a look-see. Sure enough, I mic'd the rotor at 25MM. It's stamped with a "23MM MIN" spec on it. So it looks like they're right. Not much rotor life left. Pads have about 3mm left.

My wife drives the car, and is a decent driver. No crazy braking habits or anything. Car does a mix of highway and city driving. So why are the rotors shot? Are the OEM rotors known for being soft and needing replacement at this sort of interval? This is my first Volvo and the first think I noticed after having it a month is the copious amount of brake dust it produces. Searching the net, the only reasonable answer I can find is that the pads, like on a lot of Euro cars, are softer, which produce quiet, efficient braking, but at the expense of dust.

So, long story short. What has been the experience of the forum? I'm reasonable mechanically inclined, so should I take a stab at doing the work myself? I've done brake work on my motorcycles, just not on my cars, but I assume the concept's the same. Is there an aftermarket set-up that would increase rotor life and cut down of brake dust?

Thanks in advance for any input. Apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseum but I can't seem to find any threads when I do a search.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM

Heavy car, and all that power and they're bound not to last too long. I would guess most get 40-50k out of a set. $560 isn't too bad, but if you can do them yourself you'd save some, but not a ton. Volvo OEM rotors and pads are probably in the $400 range, from the dealer, but can be found online for cheaper. Check FCPgroton.com Stick with OEM for the best rotor life.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an expert but with 2mm to go on the rotor there is some life left in it. Same with pads. Around 50K I would do OEM pads and check rotors. There should be 2 pads change in 1 rotor change. On my 850 I did breaks first time at 150K but I am old school driver LOL.
LInks to DIY
http://volvospeed.com/850rbrake1.php
http://volvospeed.com/850fbrake1.php

Old 09-14-2009, 06:19 PM

I also had experienced my front rotors on my '04 being shot at just over 40K miles, under 'normal' driving habits. Must be the weight of the car. Braking performance is really good, so hey, there's the trade off.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2mm of metal isn't something that vanishes overnight. Given the self-destructive nature of OeM Volvo brake pads, I'd say they bear the brunt of wear with mild use. Rotors get weak and wearable when they get real hot.

Your rotors are probably good for 50K, and pads can go down to 1 mm if you trust your wife to listen for the wear noises. If. An important word.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Very true, Malaka. That's one thing I was thinking about - pad and rotor wear rates. But I think you're right. They're probably good for another 10K.

I'm thinking - when I do replace them - of going with Brembo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads to cut down on dust and increase longevity.

Is there any reason I shouldn't attempt the job myself? I'm reasonably mechanically inclined. I've not done brake work on cars but have done so on my mcycles. I'd like to have a manual to guide me along, but the only one I can find is a Haynes UK manual from FCP Groton, which seems like it'd do the trick. Is there another source for a step by step instruction?