Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

HID Headlight help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlight help!

So I wanted to help my brother out who has a V70 and improve his headlights because the visibility behind the stockers suck. I purchased 2 H7 35W Apexcone Raptor HID kits from DDM tuning.

Here is what the kit looks like for reference:
Ballast

Light and wiring

Connected together and the 2 lead should go connect to the stock plug used to power the headlights

I wanted to use the stock connectors from the current headlight harness so I did not get any water into the headlights because the bugs the hell out of me and I am sure it would bug him.

So I spliced the HID light to the end of the old headlight harness

Close up of the connector I believe brown is GND and yellow is power for the low beam

Other connector plugged in these 2 go from the engine bay to the inside of the headlight (I think Brown/Black = GND, Yellow/Green = Low Beam, White/Blue = High Beam)

I then spliced the Black wire and the green wire into the ballast

All connected

I then spliced the wires that would bring power to the ballast with the connector that connects int the stock power and ground from the battery/fuse box

All connected

I plugged the whole thing in and it did not work I tried reversing the poloraity coming into the ballast and that did not work. I know about the 35W HID throwing a warning light (and how to fix it) but I figured they would work but they don't. Any help would be great.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Check this

Hello, In your 6th picture you said the brown wire of your "new system" was joined to the black. I'm guessing that's the problem. Check that the green is the ground wire on the existing system. Brown is ground on many foreign sourced systems. Please get back to us when you can. Kira

Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Why didn't you just used the grommet supplied and cut a hole in the cover?
You just make alot more work for your self doing it that way.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Why didn't you just used the grommet supplied and cut a hole in the cover?
You just make alot more work for your self doing it that way.
I did not think of that I feel like an idiot not doing it that way. I guess I have to test the lights and ballast make sure they both work then go from there.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Hello, In your 6th picture you said the brown wire of your "new system" was joined to the black. I'm guessing that's the problem. Check that the green is the ground wire on the existing system. Brown is ground on many foreign sourced systems. Please get back to us when you can. Kira
I am pretty sure the Brown and Black wire are the GND at lest that is what the Voltmeter is telling me.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I believe the to be true as well. I just checked the wiring diagram but it does not show the wire colors inside the headlights.

If you have not hacked it up to bad put the HID kit back to the way it was. Then take the OEM plug and fit it like it was. Then just take the spade connectors from the HID kit and connect to the plug for the OEM bulbs and see if it works.

I just installed the same kit on my 850 on Sat.

But my Kit sucks!!!! Light output sucks and color way different than what I ordered!