Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Inner CV Joint Grease Leaking, Boot Okay

Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner CV Joint Grease Leaking, Boot Okay

Looks like I need to replace the passenger side drive axle assembly on my 2001 V70 T5 with 87K miles. The inner CV joint just started leaking grease even though the boot if fine, grease is coming out of a gap between the innter joint housing and the end plate where the boot is clamped. I've read the inner CV joint wears, especially on turbo models, develops play and grease starts coming out (even with a good boot) and it's a sign to replace the whole axle assembly.

I've also read there are some very low quality remanufactured axles out there and wanted ask advice if I should go the OEM route (~$400) or something from IPD (~$175), which are DSS axles. I've also read good things about Raxles. Anyone have advice or experience with which axles/cv joint parts to go with?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Inner CV Joint Grease Leaking, Boot Okay

Stay away from the DSS axles.
I would try to go OEM.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:59 PM

I just ordered a pair myself. I ordered them fromFCP Groton (on of the site sponsors) I was suprised to find they were <$75 each. http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/14278/nm/1998_Volvo_V70_Turbo_2WD_Axle_Assembly_Front_Left/category_id/283

I generally do not findit to be worth my time to change boots, by the time the boot goes the joint is usually near death anyway (at least non-volvo joints).

I will let you know what I think of these after I install them.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of trying to do the same thing but after reading your post about the joints going back, I think I will just replace the entire axle.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 PM

I too experienced a leaking inner boot on the Passenger side. Not sure when it happened, but my guess since it was quite some time ago would be around 60K miles (I now have 93K miles). The boot itself appears to be in good shape, and other than the pile of grease I wiped up when i first noticed it (4-5 tablespoons), I haven't seen any more leak out.

Question to the group is: Is "MyFirstVolvo" correct that this is a sign it is time to replace the assembly? I wonder since I've gone another 30K miles without issue, and there is no apparent noise or looseness. However I'm planning a long road trip from California to Montana and back this coming summer and I sure wouldn't want to break down on the road. Is there anything I can do now to check the condition of the axel?

All replies appreciated!
Jerry

Old 12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

About the only thing you can do is check for play in the inner axle joint.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 PM

Tech,

Thank yoou for the response! This is my 1st front wheel drive car, so I'm still learning the basics. To check for loosness of the CV inner joint would I just grab the tire while it's jacked up and rotate left and right to feel for play, or is there a better technique that I should use? In a good set up, will there be some looseness, or will it feel "rock solid". I'm guessing I'll feel some looseness doing what I'm suggesting (spline interface, etc.) and with my limited experience, wouldn't know bad from good! All suggestions are very appreciated.

Jerry

Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

You would keep your hand on the inner joint while you rocked the tire. There should be 0 play in the inner joint.
If there is play the tripod joint has worn the inner cup part of the inner joint.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: checksix

.....this is a sign it is time to replace the assembly? I wonder since I've gone another 30K miles without issue, and there is no apparent noise or looseness. .....
I agree with what has been posted, however there is more to it. Generally CV joints don't wear much if they are protected from dust and dirt by the boots. The problem is when the boots fail (it seems to me Volvo used a harder plastic then the soft rubber that most mfg's use). A torn boot allows dirt from the road into a fairly precise mechanical assembly and that dirt begins to wear away at things.

The problem is not as simple as just making sure the joint is ok. The hardness of the surfaces required for a CV joint to do it's job of transmitting torq has to be very high. The bearings and working surfaces in a new joint look like they are chrome plated, but they are surface hardened to a very high Rockwell rating. This hardening is done by driving carbon into the steel, and then micro polishing the surfaces so there is little friction so there will be little wear.

Imagine you tried to sand a peice of glass. It would be hard to do because the sandpaper would not catch on anything. If you had a scratch in the glass, you could probably etch the surface pretty fast since the sandpaper would have something to catch on to. That is what happens when the first bit of dust gets into the joint.

The nice thing about it is that CV joints rarely fail all at once. You often first notice a bit of clicking or popping on turning. Some times it only happens in reverse, or at a certain speed. The problem generally gets worse slowly, but never gets better. The joint eventually fails, but it takes a while.

I would not hesitate to drive a car with a torn boot, but I have come to the conclusion that changing boots is a 'fools errand'. The effort required to change the boot is much better spent on replacing the axle. Rarely is it worth while to change one joint since the cost is high, and the other may fail shortly after.

You can buy 'split' boots that are designed to go over the axle. They sound good, but there are 2 problems with them. You can never get the joint clean enough inside while it is still on the car, and even if you did somehow the boots never seal completely. They are a waste of money but most of us have to try them for ourselves before we figure that out.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:56 PM

Tech, THANKS for the input on checking the CV for wear, I'll be doing that soon! Sailing_Faith, that is real good info a lot of members may find useful. In my case, the boot has not ruptured, and to tell the turth, I've been at a loss to explain why the grease came out! Trust me, I've looked very carfully and pulled on the boot trying to find a small crack that just has to be there right? How else did the grease get out? My wishful thinking (that is probably wrong) was the joint had a bit more grease than initially needed, and during the inital running heated up enough to force some out. Perhaps the one time I pulled a small trailer to go camping. Anyhow, there as been no further grease coming out; the joint runs as quiet as new. I have not done yet what Tech suggested, but I will get this done when I can. The way may garage is configured, I'll have to pull out the Bugeye to get access to the wheel in question if I want to stay out of the weather, so for now, I'll just wait a little while to get to this.

For all my fellow forum members: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! May you and family have the very best in 2009.

Jerry

Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 PM

Checksix

I ended up getting a new clamp from the local Napa autoparts store for my leaking inner CV joint. I had read grease leaking from the Inner CV joint (when the boot was still good) meant the inner CV joint was worn and needed to be replaced. To confirm I called a driveshaft place that rebuilds Volvo axles and they said if the boot is good and the CV joint is not making noise and there is no vibration then just replace the lost grease and put a new clamp on the boot. This is what I did and the new clamp has stopped the grease from leaking out of the end of the boot.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:39 PM

One other comment on this job.

When the cv boot goes bad, it slings grease all over the well, and much of it winds up on the inside of the wheel. You might want to consider taking the time to remove this grease and the dirt it collects.

The grease and dirt will add weight, and may not be even around the circumference. It can be enough to throw off the balance or the tire.. it won't make a huge difference but may cause a vibration or cause your tires to wear poorly.

I have had this cause problems on other cars, and was surprised at the quantity of dirt and grease the stock Volvo wheel was able to hold when I cleaned mine the other day.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 PM

FirstV70Volvo, and Sailing_Faith, thanks for the good input. When mine lost grease is was in a neat little pile on the frame where the inner CV mount bolts and not slung out in a radial pattern as one would expect to happen. Adding grease had not occured to me, but does sound like a good idea. I know many greases are not compatible with each other, so does anyone know the type grease that was used ( or can you make a recommendation where to get it). I'll probably put a new clamp on when I do add some too like FirstV70Volvo did.

Jerry