Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

New V70 Owner! A few electrical quirks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V70 Owner! A few electrical quirks...

I'm the proud owner of a '99 V70 AWD wagon with 120K. It drives wonderfully, the engine is in great shape and the car shines. I couldn't be happier with my purchase especially for the price. There are, however, a few small electrical issues that I'd like to address and hope to receive some advice on.

1- The left rear passenger (behind driver's seat) speaker makes some odd popping and buzzzing sounds especially when I brake or accelerate. Any idea what that might be. I assume that the best place to start troubleshooting would be to take a look at the wiring behind the door panel to make sure nothing is chaffing or connected poorly. Thoughts here?

2- The rear door where the above mentioned speaker is located only locks and unlocks manually and I can't open it at all from the outside. Thoughts?

3- The right rear passenger side window will open when the button is pushed from either the driver and rear passenger button (normal), but will not close on demand. After fiddling with the button several times it will close. My guess is that I'd need to replace the cluster on both doors. Any thoughts before I shell out some cash for these parts?

4- The front passenger side interior door handle did not open the door. I removed the door panel and noticed that the end of the cable that attaches to the inside of the handle had broken. I found a way to resecure the little pin that side into the handle mechanism, which now allows the inside door handle to open and close the door properly. Now the door won't lock. Any ideas here?

I'm become fairly handy working on vehicles since I purchased my motorcycle a few years ago. I don't have all the tools and am still learning the automotive vocabulary, but feel like the small problems are fixes that I can handle with a little direction.

Thanks in advance for any help I might receive here!

Regards,
Tim

Old 11-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: New V70 Owner! A few electrical quirks...

1. Yes check wiring and maybe even the speaker.

2. The door lock assembly is bad.(Latch assembly)

3. The window switches are going bad(Very common)

4.If the cable and all is good then the lock assembly is bad.
You can drill a small hole in the plastic where the cable slides in use a small wire tie to secure the cable.