Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

No fuel pressure no start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 10:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default No fuel pressure no start!

Hello,I'm currently working on my 02 v70 2.4t.I had only a week ago replaced my fuel pump, and afterwards the car ran perfect ,no codes , for one week. I went to start it up and afterward left it idling ,only to return a few minutes later ,and it had stalled...I cranked it several times but with no results.i checked the fuel rail schrader valve and it seemingly had gas ( no gauge just pressed valve) cranked it again ,it tried to stumble a little ,so I checked fuel rail again, can't really remember at that point what happened .So I cranked it again and again and went in to check the schrader valve and apparently no fuel pressure !! So here I am w no car again borrowing a vehicle trying my best to solve this! I went ahead and removed the BRAND NEW FUEL PUMP and installed another off a known running car from my volvo wrecker,to no resolve.i checked the pump fuse and I have 12.6 volts. I checked power to the sending unit and saw briefly voltage come in and it peaked at 12.6- 12.8 volts.of course when I checked again I couldn't get the probes in good enough and saw nothing.i did confirm the pump I removed is working ,that I'm certain of as I saw it w my own eyes power up w 12 volts.i checked ohms across the pump power terminals and got 2 ohms.i also checked for continuity from another sending unit to the NEW PUMP and all was good.again the car ran perfect for the duration after the pump was replaced then STALLED OUT OF NOWHERE while idling and hasn't started since! I even dropped the CEM down just to inspect it and saw nothing to suggest there was a problem.i have two relays and swapped both and no result.....I did find a bundle of wires that run right under manifold that got pinched and one was crushed by that bracket that holds the lower radiator hose,but I cut and spliced that w a crimp connector ( did a good job) but w no result.i have tested every fuse in the panel that holds the pump fuse 15 amp per suggestion by a mechanic friend and did notice I had two w no power but they had nothing to do w the pump ,odd but not really chasing those being they were headlamp or something or other......i disconnected the lines supplying and returning fuel at pump head and nothing.......Another odd thing at this point is I had a very hard time putting in the sending unit and pump in what I feel is the "correct" alignment position and for some reason it says the fuel level is empty.I know for a fact it has over a 1/4 tank ....because that's what it had when the car stalled,again I know this for a fact ......so, NO FUEL PRESSURE. GOOD FUSE GOOD RELAY CAR RAN PERFECT.I have no idea where to look next.how in the hell can in the blink of an eye this thing lose fuel pressure on a brand new pump for no apparent reason.SOS I NEED HELP!!! Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions.

Old 11-03-2020, 05:20 PM

Well I wanted to add one thing I'm not sure I mentioned....when I removed the sending unit and replacement fuel pump,I noticed something strange.on the driver side the fuel level was all the way to the o-ring (top of tank)....and on the passenger side(pump side) I don't remember seeing any fuel.Ive just spoken to a garage here in San Diego and he suggested adding a few gallons of gas ..........How on earth could one side of the tank be full of gas and the other appear empty??.. .....

Old 11-04-2020, 10:35 PM

Well I'll go ahead and wrap this up as this is ending up being a conversation with myself. what ended up happening in this situation ,was I could not find anything obvious or wrong with my voltage or relays ,or upon inspecting the cem .being that I know the car extremely well it is not one that has a history with any electrical Gremlins or a problem that was expanding from something smaller into this problem that I had a week after I replaced my fuel pump .so the problem is that somehow someway on the right side of the tank the fuel was drained .it went through the pickup in the pump and on the left side somehow someway the fuel did not get sucked up into the pickup, therefore resulting in air being sucked in on the right side and I've just learned that you have to have fuel on both sides into both pickups to have fuel pressure !!!!!I do not know why this occurred that's going to be further diving into it ,but hopefully if someone ever changes their fuel pump and their car dies shortly thereafter when the fuel level drops to a certain point they'll find this forum and stop chasing everything else .open up the pump and sending unit, check the level, see that it's not even an add gas and start their car !!!!!!good night.

Last edited by Unclebubba; 11-04-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar problem.... I traced it back to a relay... under the hood, near the fuse box... since I was miles from anywhere and at night, I took a paperclip and jumped the relay... it was a shot in the dark, I hope to save you some anxiety...

Old 11-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Oh I posted my issue....very weird but solved it as I wrote in my last post!

Old 11-02-2022, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super new to volvos in general

But I just ran down a no fire on injector 2 due to a faulty wire on the "resistor pack". If yours is equipped with one, I only skimmed through the post so my bad if it has already been discussed

1988 740T
oh dang nvm it just showed me this has been solved

Last edited by Millywomp; 11-02-2022 at 09:04 PM.