Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

No start question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No start question

Power to the connector to the fuel pump but no fuel pressure. Replaced the fuel pump. still nothing. any ideas anyone?

Old 10-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

how did you measure the power to the fuel pump connector? (ie did you jumper the relay, test the relay etc)? When you say no fuel pressure are you measuring at the rail? Do you hear the pump buzz when you energized the pump?

It could be a clogged pick up (inside the tank) - there's a mesh screen or a clog in the filter. Have you tried removing the filter to see if there's pressure that far?

Old 10-30-2015, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
how did you measure the power to the fuel pump connector? (ie did you jumper the relay, test the relay etc)? When you say no fuel pressure are you measuring at the rail? Do you hear the pump buzz when you energized the pump?

It could be a clogged pick up (inside the tank) - there's a mesh screen or a clog in the filter. Have you tried removing the filter to see if there's pressure that far?
I measured voltage at the connector next to the fuel pump. No I don't get any sound of the pump running and if I depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail I get nothing. When I changed the pump this afternoon I made sure the filter was not plugged.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You replaced the fuel pump with a new pump? Aftermarket? How did you connect the wiring? Details, etc.?

Old 10-31-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
You replaced the fuel pump with a new pump? Aftermarket? How did you connect the wiring? Details, etc.?
I replaced the core and reused the plastic housing from the old pump, much cheaper that way. The old housing had the wiring in it and the new pump came with a pig tail for the wiring. After sleeping on this I think I will pull the pump back out and recheck the wiring as one of the original wires looked a little suspect.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil 850
I replaced the core and reused the plastic housing from the old pump, much cheaper that way. The old housing had the wiring in it and the new pump came with a pig tail for the wiring. After sleeping on this I think I will pull the pump back out and recheck the wiring as one of the original wires looked a little suspect.
Yes, I assumed you re-used the plastic housing. What I'm asking is about the pump you installed; is it new, or a JY part? And if new, what kind is it; where did you get it, etc.

Yes, take it apart and ohm-out the wiring. Make sure your ground wire has 0 ohms to the chassis. DO NOT energize the pump while it is out of tank!! This is dangerous for you and the pump!

Old 10-31-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by gdog
Yes, I assumed you re-used the plastic housing. What I'm asking is about the pump you installed; is it new, or a JY part? And if new, what kind is it; where did you get it, etc.

Yes, take it apart and ohm-out the wiring. Make sure your ground wire has 0 ohms to the chassis. DO NOT energize the pump while it is out of tank!! This is dangerous for you and the pump!
The pump is a new core from Auto Zone. I did have an issue 2 or 3 years ago where one of the wires was not making good contact at the point where the terminals go through the plastic pump housing.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:39 PM

SO I went ou and tested at the connector again and got no power. I jumped out the two points on the relay base and got power at the connector. The next big question is what pulls in the relay?

When I bought this car the previous owner had just replaced the fuel pump relay and the relay in the center of the three attached to the strip just above the radiator fan. What does that relay do. I have been looking in my haynes manual but can not find a good wiring diagram.

I bought a new fuel pump relay and I still get no power to the pump so it seem like what ever pulls in the relay isn't working.

Last edited by Phil 850; 10-31-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:15 PM

I finally found the problem. After trying everything I could think of I decided to go back and start from the beginning again. The first thing I did yesterday was change the fuel pump so I took that back out and checked all the wiring and got continuity as far as the connector inside the pump housing then tried from the wiring harness to the terminals on the pump body an got no continuity on the negative side. I pulled the internal plug apart and the spade connector inside the part from the car had slipped back and was not making contact. Re seated it, put every thing back together again and it all worked. Other than this taking a day and a half I'm happy.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

:-) Glad it all worked out for you.