Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

oily puddle under rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oily puddle under rear of car

okay Volvo pros....need your help. Car is an '02 V70 T5. FWD of course. Very little going on at the back of the car, except that a puddle of oily fluid dripped back there the other day. Got back after a 3 hour drive and after the car sat in the garage there was an oily puddle under the center of the car near the rear (about 2 feet in front of the rear bumper). Only things I can think of back there are brake lines and the exhaust. Brake fluid level is fine, oil level is down a bit, but the car does consume some oil. The garage floor is at a very slight slant, so I suppose the leak could have originated from the engine/tranny area and then travelled to the rear of the car along some piece of metal or something, before dripping onto the floor. I collected a bit of the fluid on my finger. Its brownish/black, thinner than oil, and has only a slight odor. Some of it did evaporate from the floor, leaving a black stain (dry and not greasy) on the concrete. But there is still some fluid there as well 2 days later. All I can think of is that some condensation from the exhaust system built up somewhere and then drained out near the back of the car. Or maybe its condensation draining from the A/C system? any ideas here? thanks, Chad

Last edited by jenninc; 03-10-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: improve the description
Old 03-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the one of the hydraulic motor mounts is leaking hydraulic fluid. The fluid is kind of a dark rusty brown color and very thin like you describe. I have the same issue with the front hydraulic mount on mine and was just examining the fluid yesterday.

The mounts are centered on the subframe at the front and back side of the engine.

The fluid could have squirted out while pulling the car into or out of the garage hence the location behind the rear wheels. Or, do you ever park the car in the garage in the opposite direction?