Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Possible failing CV joint on '98 V70 AWD turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible failing CV joint on '98 V70 AWD turbo?

Driving on a smooth road surface today, the car began to vibrate, so I pulled to the side. The transmission set itself to 'W' mode, so I put it in 'Park' and reset 'E' mode and pulled away slowly. Some vibration was still evident, and the steering felt heavy or bound up. The vibrating stopped after a short distance. A few miles later, parking the car there was some noise from the front axle area, and the car seemed to dip slightly every couple of seconds, as though the brakes were snatching. The ABS light wasn't on. The steering felt heavy again. Thinking this might be a CV issue, I tried making tight turns in both directions, and I could hear clicking each time. I did some checks on the hubs and shafts, and dipped the transmission fluid, which was at the correct level, and clean. I decided to drive the car home; on the way there was no vibration or any sign of a problem other than when I had to make tight turns, and then there was a clicking which seemed to come from the driver's side.

Initially, I thought I had a transmission problem, and I am aware of the potential for failure of the bevel drive in my model/year. Then I thought there was either a problem with either the ABS or a brake caliper. However, later, when I could pinpoint the clicking noise to one side of the car, rather than both, I decided it was most likely that the problem was a failing CV joint.

Can anyone verify this? Does a CV joint seem the most likely problem? Also, has anyone replaced a driver's-side CV joint on a V70 XC AWD (turbo)? Any tips?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure sounds like CV joint is about to fail catastrophically; would get it fixed asap.

Not XC expert but if it's the front axle can't imagine it's any different from std S70/V70/etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default rolling2

Hello, I have a torn C/V boot and my C/V joint hasn't gone out yet. The tip I got from EVERYONE is to change the axle with a rebuild. The cost was within a few dollars of a boot kit. I don't own a pair of the crimp pliers you need AND I don't know if I'd get the amount of grip right. You get one band -one shot- per boot. Knowing me I'd over do it and cut the damn boot. Good Luck, Kira

Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those clamps i find diagonal end cutters work well. If you use common sense you won't cut the boot.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Default CV boot alternative...

A lot of automotive part stores carry a side splitting boot kit. You don't have to take the axle off to replace it. Just cut the old one off, clean the joint, repack the grease, install the side split boot and put the screws/clamps on.... Much cheaper than the boot replacement that requires the axle and cv to come out.
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Hello, I have a torn C/V boot and my C/V joint hasn't gone out yet. The tip I got from EVERYONE is to change the axle with a rebuild. The cost was within a few dollars of a boot kit. I don't own a pair of the crimp pliers you need AND I don't know if I'd get the amount of grip right. You get one band -one shot- per boot. Knowing me I'd over do it and cut the damn boot. Good Luck, Kira
Supposedly, those bands get broken or cut during inspections and front end jobs, etc. I have heard from several reputable sources that thick zip ties work REALLY well and seat nicely in the recess of the boot. And, they supposedly last a long time, and install easily.

Haven't done it myself, but have seen it done.