Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Ready to by a 98 V70 T5

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to by a 98 V70 T5

Hi,
I am new to the forum as of tonight but have been feverishly reading it for about two weeks. I have located a 98 V70 T5 with only 38000 miles. If all checks out this weekend I plan on making the purchase.

For the most part I do my own maintenance and am unclear on scanners and reset tools. Is there 1 scanner that I can buy that will reset both the service light and check engine light? I've tried to find info from EQUUS and AutoXray without much luck. Is my only choice to buy both an ODBII/CAN scan tool AND the reset tool?

Other related questions about this car:

The dealer is replacing a headlight wiper moter...is it normal for these motors to go out so quickly? not that many miles on the car.

I've read places that suggest that the valves need to be inspected/adjusted from time to time....truth or myth

I plan on having the transmission flushed ASAP. Any reason that I should/should not take this to a jiffy lube type of place?

I am also wanting to use synthetic ATF, is Mobile1 ok? suggestions

Thanks for your help!
Gino

hope to be new owner soon

Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ready to by a 98 V70 T5

I bought the ODB II scanner from Auto Zone for about $70 and that does the CEL, but not the Service Light. At least that light goes out after about two minutes of driving. I think the scanner that will reset the service light is pretty expensive. I don't know if there is a way to adjust the valves on these cars? It's an overhead cam with little oil filled pistons pushing down on the valves by the cam shaft. I just don't see any adjustment there. Never had a problem with the wiper motor, and have not heard about it on this board, so it's probably not all that common. I don't trust Jiffy Lube for anything, but that's just me. I went there one time and one time only, and they didn't tighten my oil filter and I had oil everywhere. Never been back.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:26 PM

I just got the same car myself, only mine has 145K, But the inside and outside looks like about 100k less. I've only had it about 1 week and am still doing some small stuff to it before I start driving it. The 2.3 has hydrolic lifters, no adjustments, thank goodness. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new wagon

Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 PM

JimKW,

Yes the Service Reminder Light reset tool is very expensive especially because it has one person on pretty much one car. BUMMER! I called AutoXray last night and they referred me to OTC. Sent them an email and am waiting on a reply. Supposedly they have a scanner/reset tool that will do both jobs....we'll see how expensive .

So do you take your car to Volvo? A trusted mechanic? Transmission shop?

What about synthetic ATF? any advice?

Yeah, I feel really lucky to have found a car with so few miles.

Thanks,
Gino

Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not take it to a Volvo shop for an oil change. Matter of fact I just do that myself, but I would go to any reputable shop for an oil change or tranmission change or flush. I just don't consider Jiffy Lube one of them. For mechanical stuff I either do it myself with help from this board or take it to a certified Volvo mechanic. They are expensive, but they know these cars and sometimes you really have to know this car to work on it. I do all my own brake jobs and stuff like that though. The brakes are not that hard to do. My son in-law is a mechanic at a GMC dealership, and my son is really good working on cars too. So between the three of us, we can get most things done. Hell me youngest daughter even knows how to change the oil. Taught her when she was about 17. Only saw her do it once though. I showed her how to do the brakes once too, she said oh that's way too messy.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Yeah, I was not talking about engine oil rather the ATF. I never considered Jiffy Lube as a good shop either but rather for those without initiative or the means. Of course, you only hear about the screw ups and almost never the good. I do almost all repairs myself as well

Thanks