Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Right front wheel shaking above 60mph..tie rod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right front wheel shaking above 60mph..tie rod?

Just wanted to double check, does this mean the tie rods areshot? I took off the right frontwheel and the end connecting to the ball on the hub wiggles alot and have lots of free play (outter tie rod?). Everything else is pretty tight. And on the other side this piece doesnt move as much. I have tried to swamp the wheel thinking it might be bent but that wasnt the problem. I see that on FCP Groton the tie rods arentnot too expensive, I have all the tools, Pickle fork and impact gun at myfriends place as he just did his inner and outter tie rods on a Allroad.
Thanks guys
Peter

Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Default RE: Right front wheel shaking above 60mph..tie rod?

Anybody? I checked under the car, no play anywhere. The Drive shaft passengers side moves a tiny bit but I doubt thats the cause. I'll keep waiting.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Peter,

Sorry I could not reply quicker, I'm usually in the 850 & General Forums sections so I did not realise your post.

If you do see free play at the tie-rod, and if the new part is reasonable in price at FCP Groton, I would give it a try. It probably is not the wheel balance, as balancing problem causes the steering wheel to shimmy at lower speeds than 60mph (but have it inspected anyway). Also, after doing the tie-rod end, have the front-end alignment checked. Any reputable shop with laser-type alignment machine should be able to do, as the fronts on these cars are of out-of-date McPherson type, rather than double-wishbone or multi-link.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

JPN

Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 PM

Yeah, probably tie rod ends. Let us know if that doesn't cure it.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:32 PM

Thank you for the input. I replaced the front right out ter tie rod, I haven't been able to drive the car yet so I can see if it fixed it or not. I really hope that fixed the problem. For as well as this car runs, it seems to have a plethora of other problems, like the post 3 up above this one. Once again thanks for the help
Peter

Old 12-13-2008, 03:30 PM

FWIW,

I know the original poster has probably fixed his problem, but I just wanted to add this for the record for use by future searchers.

I am in the process of changing out all of the front suspension components and struts on my V70. I replaced everything on the passenger side (FCP Groten kits are a wonderful thing).

The drivers side hadnotable steering play. After I removed the wheel, I was able to move the spindle/disk quite a bit. I normally place one hand on the outer tie rod end and move things to see if the play is there... it was not. I then watched the steering wheel to check for movement and there was none. Watching the steering rack boot, I could see the movement. This leaves the inner tie rod end, which I will now be changing with everything else. My experience with other cars is that while the inner tie rod ends tend to go bad less often, when they do they will often produce more play then the outter tie rod ends can.

Just an observation, hope this helps someone in the future.