Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Secondary Air Pump Simulator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air Pump Simulator?

All -

I was able to get AutoZone to check my OBD code and had a P0410 for Secondary Air failure. This is pretty maddening as I just bought this car and the MIL came on about one day (and 4 states) later. I live 500 miles from the guy I bought the car (1998 V70 T5 5-speed) from.

The SAS system is (IMO) horribly expensive for something I don't care about. In researching this system, I see that Pierburg, who makes the Volvo pump, makes them for VW, Audi, and BMW too. A number of people in the Bimmer forums reference an Active Autowerke Air Pump Simulator. Presumably, this convinces the ECU that the pump is present and working.

Have any Volvo owners used this system? After hearing about how often this spendy system fails, the $199 simulator seems like a steal.

- Matt

Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry have not tried it or seen it tried as of yet. You would be the first as far as I know.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My secondary air injection pump is also bad. I was able to remove it, clean it and it worked for about a month, but really noisy. I refuse to pay $500.00 for another one and would like to know if will hurt the car if it is inop.

The simulator sounds great!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I know people that have driven with a bad pump for years and never had any problems come from it.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 PM

I took my system apart tonight. The solenoid was shot, for starters. I'm sure the check valve is dead. When I disconnected and removed the air pump, it was brimming with water. I took the cap off of the motor, and even the DC motor was full of water. This thing has been dead for ages. I definitely got scammed by the seller, since there's no way this died in the week I owned it. Really aggravating.

After reading more posts, it seems the Bimmer guys are relocating their rear O2 sensor, but I don't know where. I think simulating this will take a resistance to simulate the pump and something to make the O2 think it's stoich instead of rich on cold start.

My new plan is to register the car with a family member's address and avoid e-check if possible.

Any idea what kind of recourse is available through Auto Trader?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM

I realize this is a dead thread, but thought I'd throw it in anyway.
After my pump went bad, I ignored it, shut off the CEL and ignored it some more. Other issues forced me to deal with the pump, ie, rusty water from the pump was making it's way into the air box.
At any rate, I stuck an O2 sim in at the 2nd O2 sensor and unplugged the air pump power connector. I also removed the entire pump because of the water issue. I don't know if this is entirely necessary. I plugged the outlet from the air box and jammed a giant bolt into the hose that connects to the (I think) SAS valve.
I have gone three days and no CEL. However, I don't know how I'll do on my state safety inspection so I may stick the inop pump back in just to keep appearances. I'm curious about my solution with the bolt in the hose. Not sure what the end result of that solution will be.
Any ideas what I'm going to break with this harebrained fix?