Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Selling Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling Advice

I want to sell my 2004 V70R. I bought S60 and I really love this wagon but she needs to go to someone who loves her like I do.

CarMax? Auto Trader? What works best....I have never sold a car privately.

Thank you!

Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 PM

This is a subject I have a lot of experience on, so I will go into detail.

I have shopped many, many cars online. I have also sold a few this way.

CarMax or other dealerships will pay quick money, but they will give you the least they can and no more than wholesale. They have to make money somehow.
There is value in any repairs needed, as they can do them at cost and know how to properly market the car after it is ready.

Selling on your own requires time commitment.

This sounds easy, but can be consuming as some buyers will ask 100 questions, sound interested, and then never show up for an appointment to see and drive the car.
Others will go through it, only to try offering half what you ask for the car in hopes they can resell or "flip" (ugh, I dislike that term) for a profit.
There is the potential discomfort of either having people come to your house or meeting them in a public place.

Should you decide to sell it anywhere, make sure the car is clean. Cleaner is better, though it doesn't need to be 100% showroom detailed. Just don't show it filthy.
Personally, I know how to detail a car and would have it essentially showroom. Clean eliminates objections and gives the impression that you care for your car. It also leaves nothing to the imagination: people see exactly what they are buying.

You will have to decide about mechanical and body repairs and maintenance that you need to do and are willing to do. That is something to be discussed case by case. The average buyer is generally much more willing to consider a vehicle that is fully serviced and "ready", needing no additional work. Most don't want to buy a project or even a simple repair bill. Exceptions are those looking to spend less money or who are willing to save the initial outlay and doing the work themselves at lower cost.

After cleaning, be sure to have good quality digital photos. No low res cell phone pictures will work...just makes the ad look vague and shady (double meaning).

Depending on the size of your metro area, AutoTrader.com is nice because you can reach a national audience. Craigslist can be a crapshoot since you get a lot more armchair dealers and people looking for a cheap price.

This forum has its own section for Classifieds. You can post there. An '04 V70R is a fairly specific car to Volvo people, so posting on a Volvo forum is a free way to start.

Feel free to PM me or reply on here if you have more questions.

Last edited by Pete-FWA; 09-05-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 PM

Thank You for all that fantastic advice. REALLY REALY great advice...I will start with the Forum Classifieds, I have time, the car is all mine, and registration expires May 2014. I have been faithful about the service on the car and just put new tires on the car. I have no children and a car seat and wet cheerios have never touched the back seat, I do admit I loved road tripping in that car and I will be diligent about finding those errant French fries.