Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

SRS Airbag Light after Stereo Install...but no code?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Airbag Light after Stereo Install...but no code?

2001 V70 XC

Ok I've already learned the error of my ways regarding removing the factory stereo and installing an aftermarket one. I tripped the Airbag light by removing it without disconnecting the negative battery cable first.

However, I went to a repair shop to get the light reset, and both of their scanners/diagnostic tools came back negative on any code in the system being tripped. One had a message "Unable to communicate with computer" or something like that. So it appears I am unable to reset the airbag light. Any ideas what would cause this? Are there hidden fuses somewhere in the airbag system that somehow may have popped or shorted by removing a radio?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Did you go to a Volvo shop? I had a 2001 V70 2.4t and did the same thing - only in my case I didn't disconnect the radio, I disconnected the climate control to replace the backlight bulbs. I'm not sure how the airbags and the climate control are connected, but they are - I should have asked. I went to a local shop that does import cars and they said that they can't communicate with the air bag module on Volvos. I tried a couple places like that and they told me the same thing, so I decided to bring to a place that specialized in Volvos and Saabs. Cost me $35 to get it reset and haven't had issues since. Find a shop that does Volvo and there should be no problem to reset the light.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Yeah it was a specialty shop. German Auto Repair in Fresno, CA. They do BMW, Volvo, Volkswagen, Audi, MB, Ferrari etc. I avoid the Volvo dealer in Fresno at all costs. They once tried to charge me $3,300 to fix a leaky oil cap.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 PM

I did the same thing. Bought a BSR PPC code reader and reset tool. I dont know if they are still available. Check Ebay.