Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Thinking of getting a '97 V70R - Recommendations/thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a '97 V70R - Recommendations/thoughts?

This is a pretty good deal from a local friend. I don't know the car too well and I've mostly been looking for a XC V70 in Gen 1 (I love the Gen 1 body style) but I came across this. I've always been a fan of the R, but up here in the snow I thought the XC might be a better ticket, but I know I'll be beyond happy with the R as well and particularly it's speed.

The issue is the car is somewhat "hammered" because his son drove it for about two years. Before that though it was a very nice car and was well maintained. I'm going to give it a good look over on Saturday to use as a cheap fun commuter. Mechanically I'm pretty advanced (I've done engine swaps, head gaskets, etc, in the past) but I dont want to put a whole lot into it mostly due to lack of time. But I don't mind putting a couple days into it when I first get it I figure. It's about 170K miles. He says its in great shape cosmetically and mechanically, it just has a few dings, the spoiler is cracked in a couple places, and that when it's cold it has a little trouble getting into gear. Meaning, put into gear, and it has a delay going into actual gear though the "oil looks good" and is at level. This is the only part I'm really worried about. It's probably pretty old transmission oil though.

I've been reading about the oil trap, and driveshaft issues. I'm fine with those. I'm not sure abut the bevel gear (should I be worried about this?) besides other issues I may not be aware of.

I had several 245s in college including the rare 245t that I absolutely loved. I'm excited to be back in a Volvo. Any thoughts / comments appreciated!

Last edited by dieselcruiserhead; 12-17-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "r r r"

Hello, Read this thread===> https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/new-guy-some-questions-about-v70r-xc70-cross-country-v70-48326/
Search "bevel gear" on this and other boards.
A fellow posted a BG rebuild (w/parts list) on Brickboard, A+
Do the bevel gear drain hole retrofit as well. It's so easy and so necessary.
Unlike the 5, the 4 speed in this car is no rip off to have rebuilt, if necessary.
Kira

Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Default What year??

In '97 I believe Volvo made the 850, changed designation to 70 series in 1998. Just an FYI when you go looking for parts.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM

in europe they are considered as 97 not 98 because they do the year they are realesed not model year

Old 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM

I'll keep an eye out for this. I can clearly spot the difference between a 850 and a V70 cosmetically. There are plenty of 850s around in good shape but I like the slight differences of the V70 personally. I've never seen a 850R personally though, or an all wheel drive 850, though they may exist in the American market? I am also curious if an 850 is regarded as more reliable as well?

thanks,
a

Old 12-19-2010, 07:00 PM

two of my friend have thav them in california their nice cars very fast and if you dont red line it every day then its gonna be reliable

i have a s70 its a very reliable car

Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM

thanks for the clarification guys again. It ended up being a 98, the body paint is very clean and it's good looking (silver, tan interior) and its running well and was maintained well for the most part despite getting abused by its owners. So I ended up buying it on Saturday. I don't want to say how much but it was a screaming deal, I'm very excited. And I love the car already a ton...

The silver paint is in great shape except for remnants from a clear bra that did major damage to the front end of the car. The bumper has some serious browning under the clear bra, there is a coloration difference on the hood, the clear bra on the mirrors is also browning, and finally there is plenty of adhesive left from where the clear bra has been removed. The rear bumper is also pretty dinged up but not nearly as bad as the front. So, basically it needs new front and rear bumpers (or paint only on the rear bumper) to looks as nice as I'd like it to.

Inside the front seats are hammered, rear are OK. The same kid who drove it also grew up in it and so the panels are pretty hammered as well. Ideally I'd like to:

-Replace front bumper, paint it.
- paint rear bumper

Inside, replace:
-seats ideally with black leather from a XC
-replace front door panels bare min, hopefully all 4 door panels

The clunk does happen when the trans is cold, almost like its low on fluid. And it's minimal so I plan on replacing the transmission fluid and seeing if it goes away.

My questions are on:

- how much is the transmission oil capacity, and is there a guide on how to swap this fluid?
(EDIT - nevermind, found this, perfect: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...php?f=1&t=8767 )

- common question, I know its covered here, but I need to run premium gas, correct?

- Can someone point me to a guide where I can see the bevel gear box and the driveshaft so I can know what to look at?

- Finally, it does need an alignment, possibly some minimal front end work, and then new tires. And it is having some intermittent fogging and sweet smell (very intermittent though) from a heater core that appears to be going out. I saw these articles so this will be an easy fix at some point...

Other than all of this I am a very happy camper....

thanks guys,
a

Last edited by dieselcruiserhead; 12-19-2010 at 08:17 PM.