Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

timing belt and valves and tensioner......oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt and valves and tensioner......oh my!

Can an accident to my passenger front fender ultimately cause my timing belt to snap?

1998 V70, 98k miles, timing belt changed at 75kmiles. Had suspension changed and a few other things after this accident. A day after I pick up my car from the autobody my timing belt snaps.....of course now checking for damaged valves.

the auto body says it's not possible yet will "ask around". The really loud noises that were the result of this accident were still apparent when I picked the car up last week. I only drove it a little before I called the auto body to report that something was still damaged from the accident and there were to look at it today. The car never made it through the weekend. Wouldnt start the next morning... now it sits at my mechanics awaiting word.

does anyone think this can be proven to have been caused by the accident? I will likely call the insurance inspector to again look at the car at the mechanics yet no one is offering my much hope. of course this is big $$.

thanks

Old 12-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: timing belt and valves and tensioner......oh my!

The timing belt is scheduled for change every 70K or every five years whichever comes first. If it was changed recently, I would be looking at whoever changed it. If it's been several years, you are probably out of luck. You can sure try to argue that the accident caused it, after all the belt is on the front passenger side. I think it would be hard to prove if it did or didn't cause it. If the belt has been changed recently, you should have a very good case that it was caused by the accident.

Good luck!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:22 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This post has been moved from New Members Area. Notified the original poster.

JPN

Old 12-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with some of the other responses from your posts. It seems unlikely that the accident would have caused it to break, but if so, there would probably be damage to the timing belt cover. Also, there's a possibility that another component (maybe a/c compressor, alternator or power steering pump) got out of place and the serpentine belt got pinned. That might increase the resistance on the crankshaft and therefore the tension on the timing belt. That could also go along with the noisy driving after the car was hit.

Good luck!