Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70 2.4T 2002 replacement ECU

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 2.4T 2002 replacement ECU

Hi all,

My ECU is a Bosch 0261207392 HS.2. I have a code that is listed as an internal ECU Fault (I don't have the Volvo code handy, but the generic is a P0607).

I've been told by the dealer that my ECU needs to be replaced and reprogrammed for a grand total of just under $1,500. In my opinion, that is simply highway robbery.

I've got a background in computers and electronics. I understand EPROM/EEPROM technology, and someone has to have run into this/done this before.

I've found conflicting information online, and what I want to know is, is it possible for this year model to simply get another ECU (they are on ebay for under $100) and download whatever information is on my ECU and then upload it to the used one, via the OBDII connector? I know that SAE J2534-1 applies to 2004 and newer vehicles....surely there is a similar standard for older vehicles?

Ideally, I'd like to take the programming from the existing computer, download it to my laptop via OBDII connector, and then upload that programming to another ECU via the same process.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 AM

03 V70 2.4T
Just spent the last 4 months dealing with a bad ECM.
I tried the Ebay route, and went to 3 different ECM specialty companies.
Nothing worked.
Had to pay dlrs pricing, Quite a kick in the nads.
Seems Volvo has set the ECM up to only take a download from their
systems and it has to be a clean ECM that is installed in the car.
They burn the VIN and other info in.
This prevents an easy and cheap way out.
Having a ackground in computors, maybe you'll have better luck.

WARNING
Stay away from an individual named JEFF McKEE.
He runs or ran the "ECM OUTLET" out of Detroit MI.
He has ripped a few people off.
There are police reports.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Hmmmm....

Well, that is certainly not what I wanted to hear. If they use an EPROM for storing the VIN, then all bets are off. However, if they use an EEPROM, then there is hope....

Yeah, I read a thread about ecmoutlet.com and Jeff McKee. I actually went to their site and submitted a request for info but never got an email or callback....thank goodness!

I found a place in Dorset (UK) and one in Florida that claim they can provide me with an ECU, but am hesitant. The one in the UK claims they can download the code from my ECU and upload it to the one they ship me....al for roughly $400 US.

819 0261207392 08627757A HS.2 1 : Autotek Electronics

The one in Florida is basically double that at just under $900:

http://www.aesmodules.com

As for your experience, who were the 3 ECM specialty companies you tried?

Thanks,

Jonboy

Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Jon
A run down.
I 1st got an ECM fom e-bay, all the same #'s. It did not work - would not take a download.
2nd went to a company called SAI, they said there was nothing wrong with my old ECM.....Wrong
3rd, went to a company that claimed they were certified by AC Delco. The ECM is bad, they could not repair it.
4th went to ECM Outlet, and yes got ripped.
I then went back to the Swedishcarclinic.com and had them put an ECM in. They got the part from the dlr.
Had two different dlrs and the swedishcarclinic tell me that the ECM cannot be repaired and, all three told me they have never been able to download fresh software to an ECM were all the numbers did not match up.
Based on what I went through with, and was shown by the Swedishcarclinic
You need a fresh ECM.
"But I'm no expert"
Goodluck

Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Default volvo v70 xc ECU replacement

If I can revive this 2 years old tread. Did somebody finally solved this exchange ECU problem. So many owners suffer huge ripoff from Volvo stealers and so many companies on both sides of the pond offering services and claiming that they can reprogram ECU . So where is the trues. ??? If ECU must be a virgin when installed in your car then all 100 ECU on Ebay worth nothing because nobody, even dealers cannot erase existing program .
Many thanks.
Boris

Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 PM

Hi Boris,

I never did anything with mine. The hard fault remains. Fortunately for me, the engine and transmission run just fine, even with the fault present, and I was able to clear all of my other codes by replacing some other parts. So, the check engine light wasn't on and I was able to pass our local emissions inspection. Since I don't have US $1,500 laying around to give the Volvo dealership, I have not looked into it any further. While I feel confident that I could resolve the issue given enough time, I simply can't take the time to play with it and risk my car being out of commission.

Apologies that I do not have any better news for you. Best of luck.

Jonboy

Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jonboy
Hi Boris,

I never did anything with mine. The hard fault remains. Fortunately for me, the engine and transmission run just fine, even with the fault present, and I was able to clear all of my other codes by replacing some other parts. So, the check engine light wasn't on and I was able to pass our local emissions inspection. Since I don't have US $1,500 laying around to give the Volvo dealership, I have not looked into it any further. While I feel confident that I could resolve the issue given enough time, I simply can't take the time to play with it and risk my car being out of commission.

Apologies that I do not have any better news for you. Best of luck.

Jonboy
Thanks Jonathan . Appreciate an answer. Unfortunately my car does not run so I will continue my search simply because no money... You mentioned one place in Dorset UK.. remember the link?
Boris

Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM

Hello Board,

I am new here so bear with me. I have a 2002 V70 cross country wagon. I just bought it and there was no real maintenance history that came with it. any way the problem is the P0607 code that comes up with a commercial generic code reader not a VIDA DICE. I have repaired the DIM that was in need of soldering. after several in and out of the car I made the mistake of turning the ignition on before connecting it. thus the SRS air bag light went on. long story short the check engine light is on the car starts and run ok. has a skip but can not get past the p0607 code to see what cylinder is misfirieng. calling for a bad CM . but the car starts and runs although not smooth but it drives and reaches operating speeds. so question is could the power steering fluid have shorted the units in front of the reservoir. I can see that it had leaked and is all over the fender wall in that area. leak has been contained. will a simple cleaning of the connectors help or is it shorted out.

thank you and excuse the lengthiness of the post.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Default ecu issues

There are people and tools programming the chips directly on the ecu and cloning them.
I currently have the radiator fan not working, looks like it may be the output from ecu failing.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:55 AM
mpe

Hello, I am an electronics engineer and wonder if anyone has got to the bottom of this problem. As another member mentioned it is a simple job to copy an EPROM, or to move the existing EPROM to the new ECU. Has anyone done this? Anyone know what chip number the EPROM is?