Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70 power loss - continuation from other thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 power loss - continuation from other thread

Hey folks, this started in

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/stalling-losing-power-highway-29246/

but I started to feel like I had totally high jacked it, and wanted to create a new one so I don't dominate the other persons work.

I was/am having similar problems as the owner of the other thread in that I will be driving and randomly - once a day - if driving on the highway, the car will act like all the gas has been cut off from it for 3 to 4 seconds, picking back up and continuing on its happy way. If it happens while stopped, it will stall, but then after a few tries to restart, come back to life like nothing happened. It is a complete all or nothing scenario.

Based on some feedback in that other thread, I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump relay, hoping it was the guilty party. The car ran fine for about two days, then again it happened.

I immediately put an update into the other thread, bummed, and the reply I got back is that it was likely an electrical failure. I could see this as a possibility as well.

I continued to drive the car to do more testing, and the problem hit a few more times.

Here is the odd thing - while the relay didn't fix the problem, the problem has changed. Now when the car looses power, it isn't for a few seconds, but now just a second or less. A quick loss of power, then back to life again.

So the relay changed something... but not sure what. It could be a combination thing, and the relay was bad. But I am really scratching my head because it didn't fix it, it just reduced it... very odd.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Coming back today from dropping my son of to football camp, while cruising the highway it did it again, this time the full monty version with about 5 seconds of complete power loss. Down shifting and staying on the gas, if came back to life, and I continued on my way with out issue.... other then the people behind me wonder what the heck was up with me.

Could a failing coil cable or something like that cause a problem like this?