Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

V70 t5 oil sump leak + camshaft case leak!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation V70 t5 oil sump leak + camshaft case leak!

I recently bought a v70 from a friend and currently it's leaking a lot of oil that it cannot retain oil during a drive. My friend did some work a while back on the oil sump and had the original sealant for the sump but did not replace some of the O rings for the coolant system and having a feeling that to little of the new sealant was put on and new the car is leaking tremendous amount of oil. The leak in the camshaft case is new and it's leaking onto the exhaust manifold causing oil to burn. I am planning to fix it myself but I need some guidance on how to go about fixing and reselling the system.

Thank you to who replies to this thread.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have two comments. One is that the original sealant works really well. They used anaerobic sealant, and you can get this from Volvo, but I use Loctite brand from the auto parts store. Very good stuff. If you have to remove and replace the oil pan with new sealant, it'll be okay.

The second comment is that these engines have a tendency to walk the cam seals out, and they will leak profusely, but these are $5 seals. In fact you can just push them back in for free if you want to. If the cam cover is leaking from the joint with the head, I would be very surprised, but if so it would not be a very big job to remove that and put it back.

I guess I should have said 3 comments. You didn't mention what year your car is, but a lot of them have a strange crankcase ventilation system that requires periodic maintenance. If this system gets stopped up then oil leaks will be worse. You can find many threads and how-to videos on this system.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:31 PM

Thank you I will definitely check out the sealant for Volvo or the other one you recommended in addition that I will take a look at the cam shaft seal for any leaks there. Hopefully pictures and a thorough search through the out side to identify the leakage and update with pictures.

Thank you firebirdparts

Old 05-25-2016, 01:09 AM

It seems that the general area where the camshaft belt and the serpentine belt is especially right underneath the serpentine pulley on the crank shaft has a pool of oil only when going on the highway for less than half a mile but when driving around town it dies not leak oil at all which concerns me. Last but not least there is oil still leaking onto the exhaust manifold.

Attached Thumbnails V70 t5 oil sump leak + camshaft case leak!-img_0176.jpg  
Old 05-25-2016, 08:30 AM

Look for info about the PCV system. You might decide to service that first.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:38 PM

talked to the person who I bought the car from and he said that he replaced the entire PCV system last fall. I'm going to try to remove the cam belt cover to see if the oil is coming from up high or down low since the source of the oil leak is happening from that area.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:12 AM

Glove test?

Old 05-28-2016, 02:09 PM

Glove test as it sucks it in right away and no smoke what so ever. and this may be a possibility that the bolt for the oil line that comes off of the engine block that goes to the turbo might be loose or the crush ring are broken or the line broke itself as a possibility.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:09 AM

Turns out not to be the oil line from the block to the turbo after all. It seems to be in the area where the crank shaft connects to the timing belt is located and brings oil up via the belt...

Any ideas from here?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:43 AM

Well, the front main seal is not too hard to get to, at least, and cheap. You'll have to take the timing belt off if you replace it.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 AM

Figured out the source of th oil leak, it seemed that the intake camshaft seal managed to pop out of its houseing and this issue has been ongoing since the previous owner had it and progressively got worse over time. Now since the seal is pushed back into its housing the oil leak stopped instantly and retained oil. AI will be ordering a new camshaft seal and replacing the timing belt after the steam clean of the engine. Thank you so much for the help firebirdparts!