Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Volvo and winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo and winter driving

Just wanted to share some experience and observation. I had a S60 when they first came out in about 2001. FWD T5, not High Performance, but man oh man were the seats great. Between 1998 till now I've owned about 15 different vehicles. Range Rover, Land Rover Disco, Jeep Wrangler, Acura TL, Cad Escalade, Lexus, Jag XJR, a couple of non-practical sports, and of course mini-vans including AWD toyota sienna (to name some of them). But a few years back I went backward and bought a used 98 XC70 AWD. WOW. She has 190k miles now and what a great vehicle. Don't want to jinx it, but no problems with AWD. Several thousand in miscellanous upkeep and repairs, but well worth it. Most important, in bad road conditions (like Wisconsin where it snows 1/2 the year), this has been the vehicle I've always been most confident that will get me home. Never would have guessed it either. Volvo is missing the boat. The seats brought me back, but this is the best bad weather car I've ever owned. And, IMHO, forget about "W" mode. What a waste. Does better in "D". Go Volvo.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good to Hear

Hello, Glad you're happy. Many people have mentioned the "W" mode as being a waste of time. I've tried it in the two V70's I've owned. It starts the car in third gear-they tell me. I guess it's supposed to strain the drive wheels so they're less prone to spin. I never experienced or felt a benefit. In fact, it sounded bad when engaged. Maybe it was designed for people who don't have any awareness or feel for breaking their drive wheels lose.
Also, there's a good write up out there on drilling a drain hole in the bevel gear in order to replace the fluid. I think it's worth the read. Kira

Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks, Kira. I was prompted to post as a transplanted Wisconsin-ite who just went through another big snowstorm. As I noted, I've owned way too many vehicles many with AWD and sport utes. The only ones that come close to my 98 AWD v70 in regards to snow driving are the 97 LR Discovery and 98 Range Rover. And I really think the Volvo is as good if not better. I really don't understand it and it seems kind of freakish. But I swear this damn thing will go through any snow no matter what--how's it do that? I'd trust (and have trusted) this car to get me home in bad snow more than any I've ever owned, and I've owned most of them. Low center of gravity (comparatively speaking) may be part of it in reference to sport-utes comparison, but it still doesn' make sense. The 07 Toy highlander, 04 jeep wrangler, 01 Escalade, etc weren't even close to tracking as well as this old volvo in the snow.

So I'm also curious how the new Volvos do in this regard?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default THE reason

Hello, All I can think of is that the Volvo, at ~3,700 lbs, has weight on all it's wheels. That could give it an edge over the smaller SUV's. The lower center of gravity simply gives it a more solid feel. The Land Rover products you mentioned have more ground clearance but are higher up and give a less comfortable ride. Still, they must be able to chew through higher snow than the XC-70's. I did test drive one 1998 XC-70 during a deep (12"+) snowfall and was amazed at how well it handled. I didn't buy it because I heard a groaning which could only have been drive train. To hear it so well while driving over a very thick,even, cusioning layer of snow was the red flag of the century. Kira

Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 AM

I agree. I had a 98 xc a few years ago and it would plow snow out of the way in a storm. I now have a 99 GLT (FWD) which is surprising with good snow tires, but not comparable to the 98. I also agree with the W button being useless. It replaces pedal control for those who don't have it. I know this is not the place, but thanks Kira for the directions for keeping mud out of the rims with wax. It has been very usefull lately with all the thawing here in Vt.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 AM

Probably right that low center of gravity combined with fairly heavy weight is the big factor. Still just amazed that I've never lost traction in all kinds of winter weather. And you can "feel" that also when you're driving it. This last storm in a 35 mile commute I stopped and helped 5 different people who were stuck. I never even questioned that I was going to get home. It was tracking with ease all the way. This has also been true in icy conditions. While the Range Rover, and LR Discovery, were also great in these conditions--they weren't nearly as good. I'd say the 97 Range Rover I had way back when was a close second.