Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Who actually has "nice" seat covers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who actually has "nice" seat covers?

My drivers side seat is really starting to look a bit shabby. I try to clean it etc, but I can only slow the process so much.

EVERY website you go to claim to have "custom made" seat covers "custom fit" seat covers "made specifically for your vehicle" seat covers. "100% fit seat covers" yet they all have the same generic pictures of a seatcover that not only fits like a$$, but actually pulls over the headrest too!

Show me a picture of one of your custom seat covers on a friggin' Saab! A Yugo!!! Show me ANYTHING except this generic picture - this will NOT get me to trust your website!!!

Have any of you guys actually purchased seat covers somewhere? I am not looking for something that's invisible, I just want something that truly is meant for the V70 seat and does not cover the headrest.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately i think that's your answer: nobody! Seat covers (even "custom" ones) always still look like seat covers.

Save up your money and bite the bullet; get them re-upholstered by a reputable shop, or buy the skins and do it yourself.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned "cleaning". Is it a leather cracking issue, completely rubbed and abraided (not smooth), discoloration, or dirty? If it's a question of the hide coloration having been rubbed through from use (like what is really noticeable with black hides), then you could try leather dye followed up with really good leather balm after the dye is well cured into leather. Have done that before with great success. It completely takes care of most cracking, asthetically, as well. Unless it is cracked all the way throught the leather which is pretty unusual. The biggest challenge is finding dye to match the seat color unless it is standard black. For keeping leather treated and supple, as well as cleaning it, Zymol makes a pretty good product. Recommend ordering their good stuff from on-line website, not the typical Autostore off the shelf Zymol offers. You might be surprised at the results from good restorative leather care, unless the hides are completely ruined.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
ed7

Real leather "dye" is a thin plastic coating applied to the leather. Check your local shoe or leather apparel shop. Most sell it in a spray can in a variety of colors.
Ed

Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Interestingly, I had yrs back an 89 bmw 325 with black leather that had discoloration in the wear lines. Bought leather dye that was liquid and applied it (was like wood stain). Messy to apply but it really worked. And NEVER rubbed off onto clothes or anything. Know what I'm talking about?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bulldog - I know exactly what you are talking about. I love 3-series BMW's, I just sold my 2004 and got a 2006. The 2004 was a coupe and had sports seats with huge bolsters that showed some serious signs of wear because you always would rub on them wen getting in/out. I used the black leather dye on there and it worked great.

The problem in the Volvo, however, is a bit worse. There are legitimate cracks in the leather and even though I tried various cleaners, some of the marks seems to be permanent. The versatility of the car has been it's downfall - with the seats down I move everything from couches to yard waste and the poor thing seems to always have people sitting in it during the middle of a project (IE: dirty clothes). I keep the car clean and remarkably it barely has a scratch on it anywhere - the driver side seat just looks horrible.

Do you guys consider the skins a "DIY project"? I took apart the seats in my old Grand Cherokee to repair the heating element - I suppose if I could pull that off and get the seat back in and working correctly I could be able to replace the skin on this one.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Hmmm. Someone else would have to answer about playing upholsterer. That is just way beyond what I'd be willing to take on. I did have a motorcyle seat recovered once and it came out great and was really reasonable price wise. Know that I couldn't have done it, at least not without a lot of mistakes and time involved.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Platinum52
Do you guys consider the skins a "DIY project"? I took apart the seats in my old Grand Cherokee to repair the heating element - I suppose if I could pull that off and get the seat back in and working correctly I could be able to replace the skin on this one.
There's a member here "bobec" who started a business making/selling replacement seat skins for volvo; ck this thread:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...project-41642/

here's his site:
Volvo Parts

Old 01-19-2015, 09:58 AM

That said, would I be better off just buying a really nice, say sheepskin seat cover from autozone and trying this? If most seat covers don't look good, then at least I wouldn't be paying $150 for one seat cover.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the leather is not ripped/torn/shredded you have two better options.
One is to buy the stuff to respray the seats yourself.(No experience here, but it is intriqueing) The other is to google "Leather Seat Redying (your city)". I have had 2 seats redone and they come out looking like new. Cost? About 250 for a seat (they will include your console top also if you ask - if not tell them you're going to check somebody else) I haven't had 2 seats in the same car done so if you need that I can't guess on the price.

Looks a whole lot better than fake sheep skin. And is kinder to animals than real sheepskin.

Actually - thay can fix some tears also but I haven't had that done.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:16 PM
Default V70 Drivers Seat…

Originally Posted by gdog
There's a member here "bobec" who started a business making/selling replacement seat skins for volvo; ck this thread:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...project-41642/

here's his site:
Volvo Parts

This is the issue…do you make a cover / skins to fix this?