Volvo XC40 Volvo XC40 compact crossover forum discussion, how-to guides, and technical help.

User manuals, handbooks etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default User manuals, handbooks etc

I've just taken delivery of a nearly-new hi-spec XC40 and trying (and failing) to get to grips with the technology. I'm finding both the online guides and the in-car manual to be somewhat lacking in detail, at least for the searches I've been performing. I wonder if others have experienced this frustration. This is the first Volvo I've ever owned or driven having previously had a series of Audis and BMWs.

For example, I was looking for help using the keyless 'Key Tag'. Nowhere in any of the handbooks etc can I find any details of how to lock the car using the Key Tag. I eventually found it thanks to Google (press the little dimple in the door handle with your finger) but why can't that be in the manual? Some may say, "it's obvious" but it isn't if you're new to these systems. I also had a moment when I accidentally turned on 'pilot assist' when turning a sharp right at a small roundabout. I thought the salesman had turned it off on the centre consule and didn't realize it could be turned on on the steering wheel controls. There's an awful lot to remember in 672 pages.

I also had a wasted couple of days trying to set up the Volvo app on my phone - turns out it was never activated by Volvo so had to have a few minutes in the workshop while they did the necessary. An error message of "Oops something went wrong - try again" isn't very helpful. I even tried the online chat support but all they could suggest was changing the PIN.

Having got those moans off my chest I have to say I already prefer driving it to my old Q3 & Q5.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:37 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Owners manuals are available on line here - might be easier to read

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/manuals

Old 05-02-2022, 06:47 AM

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question so here goes - when in the user's manual on the central display, I can't get out of it. Can't see a return or exit or back button so have to get out of the car. No mention in the manual that I can find either. How do I do it?! Thanks

Old 05-04-2022, 07:15 AM

After nearly eight months of being unable to exit the owner's manual without stopping the engine and opening the driver's door, I finally stumbed across the solution. It's the physical 'home' button just below the centre display! If it was explained to me when I picked up the car from the dealer, it didn't register. I'd assumed it wa some sort of SIM-card holder or suchlike. It would be helpful if the manual included a sentence at the end of the manual on existing the manual using this button.

My other gripe with the manual is that I can't togglw between it and the functions on the centre display. So much is controlled by apps etc in that display and it's a pain to read a bit, get out of it, try it, go back to the manual etc. Too much to remember so perhaps I'm just too senile to have a high tech car these days.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:38 PM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

If it makes you feel any better. I am not a fan of the newest cars having a tablet for all the controls and I am a young lad. It only makes it harder to adjust anything while driving and causes further distractions because you have to read a screen to figure out where to go and whats going on. Muscle memory for controls work a lot better when you have something you can physically feel where you are, like adjusting climate control with a **** rather than a touch screen. We have enough distractions on the road as it is, last thing we need is another one built into the car.

The following users liked this post:
Pedr057 (04-25-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 03:02 PM
Smile 643 page owners Manuel order the complete manual

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/owners/literature

I have a 2023 XC40, ordered the 2022 since the 2023 basically is an enhanced 2022. Only paid 50.00 and had it within four days