Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

HVAC Issues (air blower)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Issues (air blower)

2017 XC60, 46K miles

Anyone else with this problem?
Occasionally (not often), air flow will drop significantly lower using AC, even while on highest blow setting. It gets really loud behind the console with the fan blowing, but very little air comes out of the vents. Like the vent "steering" mechanism gets stuck out of place. Usually takes turning the car off for a period of time for it to return to normal. Seems to only happen on road trips. Even when turning AC off, the air flow remains low. Frustrating because it can get pretty sweaty driving on hot days while this problem is happening.

Took it to local dealership, and they recommend I need to replace the AC Evaporator at ~ $1700! Not convinced that is the problem...I never get hot air...always cold, it's just the air flow.
No obstructions in cabin filter.

Thanks for any info!

Old 08-06-2021, 12:46 PM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by redlight114
air flow will drop significantly lower using AC, very little air comes out of the vents.
Usually takes turning the car off for a period of time for it to return to normal.
Seems to only happen on road trips. Even when turning AC off, the air flow remains low.
they recommend I need to replace the AC Evaporator at ~ $1700!
Not convinced that is the problem/
Your Ac evaporator is probably freezing up, filing with ice, reducing air flow, until a compressor off period allows it to thaw. Impossible to duplicate for a shop, unless they take your car on a road trip. Evaporator freezes up because the pressure is too low. Low refrigerant is a common cause - however a year or two ago someone mentioned a software update that Volvo put out to solve this problem for many others were having it also.

A new evaporator is not the solution - although if the refrigerant is low and causing freezing, the system WILL be properly filled after a new evaporator installation and might solve the problem!

Stress this only happens on road trips after driving for an extended period of time at the NEXT dealership service department you try. And ask about the software update that was solving this a couple of years ago.

Leaving the fan on high with the ac compressor off will clear the ice quicker.

Last edited by hoonk; 08-06-2021 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
redlight114 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 09:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hoonk, I think you are correct. That was my first thought as well.