Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2012 XC60 Bluetooth with iPhone issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XC60 Bluetooth with iPhone issues

I have a 2012 Type R XC60 - love it! I don't love the Bluetooth implementation with my iPhone 4s. First, when it is paired with the car it disables sounds on the phone so you don't hear anything happening except when it rings. I cannot seem to stop this. When I switch to Bluetooth audio mode in the car, and listen to something from the iPhone, then I get all of the sounds - email coming in, notifications, etc. It doesn't appear that there is a way to make this work when listening to other audio sources in the car?

Also, the sound quality for hands free calls is terrible. Most of the time I can barely hear the other party because the audio is so garbled. Disconnecting from handsfree and putting the phone to my ear always resolves this. I did not have these issues with the same phone and my previous XC60.

It's going in for service next week so I am hoping that there are some upgrades installed. But can anyone comment on these issues? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Bump - Software upgrades did nothing. I am starting to believe that sound quality of the handsfree is what it is. But the integration with bluetooth shutting off the iphone sounds seems like it could have been done better. For example, if I am paired, in one of the other audio modes - such as Radio, and using Maps on the iPhone - all of the spoken directions are muted. Has anyone figured out a w way around this?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 AM

I have contacts not downloading! Volvo has been absolutely no help. They have on their site that my phone is compatible and address book download is transferable it is not! Funny my personal iphone does transfer on the Volvo. My blackberry did transfer with my Ford. It is Volvo. They told me to go to dealer service and I did and they had no answer. I need my phone for business and guess no one understands that texting is dangerous. How else can I get to call clients without using my blackberry and typing. What a crock that Volvo wants the safest car and they do not care about this issue. I have been talking to some other Volvo owners and they say that their Blackberrys does not download their contacts. They should not state that it is compatible or have a fix. God forbid something happens to me because of this my family will be handling this in court. I have sent numerous emails on site with no responses. Called and they keep referring me to dealer service. Absolutely no support. The last time I buy a Volvo. What a piece of crap and terrible customer service!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM

I haven't tried downloading the address book - I will try this with my iPhone. I am not happy with the way the bluetooth works with the Volvo stereo system. Unless I explicitly set it to Bluetooth as the audio input I lose most of the audio prompts from the phone - new mail, new text, directions from the maps, etc. The only thing that does break through when audio is playing is the phone ringing. The strange thing is that sometimes (infrequently) the phone does play all audio prompts over the stereo system. It appears that if I am using the phone when I get in the car, and the bluetooth connects, then all subsequent audio prompts appear to work regardless of the source selected on the stereo.

Having said all of this, the car is great. Despite the issues with the bluetooth it wouldn't deter me from buying the car again.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Default Siri not connected in 2013 XC60!!

I previously had a 2010 XC60 that was equipped to work with Siri by holding down the "phone" icon on the steering wheel. She would then "ding" and away we go! The 2013 XC60 has no such "phone" button the steering wheel, replaced with the rotary wheel. I can no longer have Siri!! I can not believe that they have regressed in this department, especially with cheaper cars getting Siri buttons and Eyes Off.
Anyone find a trick to calling up Siri on the 2013s?? My understanding is, it is simply a cheap wire that can be connected - any one find an answer, please let me know - I love this car but find it unbelievable the safety conscious Volvo requires you to look at a screen to make a call!!! Help!!!!!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM

I agree (per my previous emails) that the Volvo system in the new XC60's is garbage. I stopped using the NAV because it takes too long to enter/speak directions and it is wrong about 1/10 of the time - which is not a good error rate! I just use Waze now.

As for the hands free calling, apparently the only option is to download your phonebook from your phone to the Volvo - something I still haven't figured out how to do - although I haven't tried that hard!

As for the Siri, check this out:

Whatever happened to Siri Eyes Free? | iMore.com

Perhaps that will do the trick - although it irks me that you would have to pay another $60 on top of the crazy money I paid for the Volvo system.

Here is a chat on the volvo facebook page about it - if you believe the posters then it isn't going to happen in our cars:

https://www.facebook.com/VolvocarsUS...51607599199489