Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Nothing Going Right

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing Going Right

Hello,

I'm new to Volvo Forums and I've joined to get any input from anybody that's dealt with the issues I'm dealing with.

I have a 2013 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD. I wanted the turbo, but the dealer didn't have one reasonably priced with a navigation system. Anyway, this vehicle has approximately 786 miles on it. Already, my check engine lights been on twice, but I think I fixed this problem because I found the black liner inside the fuel door that surrounds the fuel filler neck was literally twisted and it was causing the rubber part to bulge and it was slightly coming up over the lip of the fuel filler neck, which I believe was interfering with seal on the fuel cap. I straightened it out and cleared the code. Hopefully, this was it.

My second issue is what's really bothering me. When I gone out to unlock my vehicle, the message center states, "Low Battery" with the universal symbol for the battery with an exclamation point. This is not the only time it's done this. I've checked the battery and it read 12.5 volts, so I know this is not a low battery and it's obviously getting charged. This warning is fairly recent. If I start the vehicle, the warning goes away on its own, but comes back on shortly after the engine's stopped.

I'm worried that I possibly have a vehicle that's going to be an electrical nightmare or a lemon; especially with these issues already. I'm taking it to the dealership Monday to have a rear view camera installed, but I feel this is going to be a waste of money as if these problems persist, I'll be trading the vehicle in.

Thank you and any advice is appreciated.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 PM

How have things been going with your car? I've been looking at the xc60 but have concerns about the reliability and therefore am reading through this forum. I hope your experience has been better than what you've described as your start. Would you be a repeat buyer at this point?
Thx and good luck.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Default To Peester

They did fix the problem, but I don't have the Volvo anymore because of my overall experience with it. I especially don't like the little bit of standard features they come with for the price. The problem ended up being a vent valve stuck open, which relieves excessive fuel vapor pressure that naturally builds up in the tank when the level gets down to about 3/4. The system thought there was a leak because not only was it venting the excessive vapors like it's suppose to, but it was also venting the vapors the manufacturer wants to remain in the tank to help detect leaks within the tank. The valve is suppose to close when the pressure gets to the manufacturers specified minimum they want to remain.

I now have a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium, which is the top of the line model. What made me get rid of the Volvo so soon is because I ended up making 6 round trips to the closest dealer, which is 30 miles one-way for a total of 360 miles in just over a month, which I found excessive and made me question their quality of service. I decided I needed a vehicle that has a dealership more practical to my location and Ford is one of the most conveniently located. I really love the Fusion. And honestly, it has a 5 star overall safety crash rating and they use majority aluminum frames, which translate to better fuel mileage. With the Ford Sync System, you push a button and talk to the vehicle. For example, you can turn on/off the climate control, change temperature, tune to AM/FM/XM radio stations just by your voice.

It comes standard with remote start, which you can setup in a way where the vehicle will automatically activate AC/heat, rear defroster, heated seats, front window defroster, etc. without you leaving it at the previous settings you had it at. It has adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, BLIS, rear-view camera with parking sensors and cross-traffic reference system. Ford's BLIS works better than Volvo's because Ford uses a radar based system instead of a little camera under the mirrors like Volvo. The cameras have a tendency to act up when it rains because it's picking up the reflection off the road surfaces and thinks there's a car there.
I really like the cross traffic reference because if you're trying to back out of a parking spot and you have a cargo van on one side and a big pickup on the other side, it activates the same radar that uses the BLIS system and checks for traffic coming in both directions and warns you if it senses something coming and the light in the mirror will activate where the traffic is coming from.

Overall, I think the Volvo would've been a good vehicle, but I just needed something more practical. Also, after getting the Ford and as stated above, I believe Volvo costs too much for the little standard features you get that makes cars enjoyable to drive. Volvo doesn't fit my taste because I like vehicles with a lot of technology and aggressive styling. One more thing, Ford has a better powertrain warranty, which are items in vehicles that will really hurt your wallet when they start breaking. Volvo's is 4yr/50,000 mi, while Ford is 5yr/60,000 mi.

Last edited by jbooser; 06-30-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny, I read that long list of features and all I see is maintenance nightmare. The only "modern" feature I want in a vehicle is ABS. Everything else is pointless bling. I'm planning on keeping the four vehicles I have now as long as I can just to avoid all that stuff.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 AM

Unfortunately, a lot of these cars, you're not going to be able to get away from all of this technology. And about ABS, I believe this was widely available starting with 2005 model years and I think became Federally mandated that all 2007 and newer must have it.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM

jbooser -

Thanks so much for your prompt response. It is greatly appreciated. We, too, live approx 30 miles from the nearest Volvo dealer and that has been one reason we haven't bought an XC60 yet. Glad you are happy with your Ford Fusion
Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 AM

You're welcome. Like I said, the 30 mile trips to the dealership isn't practical and where I live, it doesn't take 30 minutes to get 30 miles; more like an hour because of traffic, so you can imagine the 6 trips to the dealership.
After dealing with the Volvo, the farthest I'm willing to travel to a dealer is 15 miles. The reason I picked 15 is because if I get another premium brand vehicle, the BMW dealership is about 15 miles from me and the traffic isn't too bad going there.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big annual mileages I see many of you members from the U.S. clocking up and pointing out throughout the forums, I'm surprised your concerned about a visit for servicing of only 30 miles??
Volvo's are a pleasure to drive also and comfortable so its just another excuse to get behind the wheel. hahaha