Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2012 XC60 R Design Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XC60 R Design Questions

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about my new XC60 R Design and I wanted to see if anyone has experienced similar.

Transmission question---at low speed (rolling stop around 5MPH) when I press the accelerator the car will hesitate for a moment and then it will thrust itself into gear. It almost seems as though it is getting stuck in between 1st and 2nd gear. The jolt is so much that it will cause any passengers in the vehicle to jerk their heads back and makes for a very uncomfortable ride. I took it back to the dealer and they are telling me that it's completely normal which I beg to differ. Has anyone else experienced this and is this in fact normal??

Tire question---I am getting this road noise in the city, doesn't seem as noticeable on the highway. I have observed that all four of my tires have uneven wear (scalloping, cupping, whatever you want to call it). When slowing to a stop the car sounds like a F-350 with oversized tires on it due to the excessive road noise. The vehicle has the stock 20" Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires which have only 14k on them. I did a road test with the dealer and they are also trying to tell me that this is normal as AWD vehicles will scallop tires over time. I have consulted with other dealers and I am being told that this is not at all normal. Alignment, balance, and rotation has been done and noise still is there. Has anyone else experienced this on their vehicle and if so what was done about it??

I have only had this car for a couple weeks so I believe the dealer should be the one responsible for addressing these issues.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd have to drive it for the first problem.

For the second, you need new tires. If they are cupped, you can balance them and align the car all day, it won't change the fact the tires are cupped already.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:44 AM

Did they ever figured out what this is? Have a 2013 XC60 RD and when stepping on the gas from stop it hesitates for a very short time. Not sure if this is normal in an AWD (first one I own). When I slowly accelerate from a stop no issue very smooth. This short hesitation is also not always there. You had this between first and second gear?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 AM

My issue wasn't from a stop, it was from a crawling speed. My assumption was that it was the vehicle was in 2nd gear and decided that it needed to be in 1st gear at the time. This would happen regardless of how much gas I gave it.

Needless to say I absolutely fought with the dealers on everything from ECM/TCM updates to software updates and upgrades but to no avail. There was a TSB on this, not very descriptive but still...https://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b331522/

I would take this to the dealer and see if they will look into it under warranty.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:54 PM

Seems like a known issue some small tuning to software was done and improved it on mine 2013 xc60 r design. From what I heard is a Ford trans. Gotta live with it not nice, think is a design flaw.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheDutch
Seems like a known issue some small tuning to software was done and improved it on mine 2013 xc60 r design. From what I heard is a Ford trans. Gotta live with it not nice, think is a design flaw.
Hi, I have a 2012 rd and here's how I solved my transmission issues. The XC60 had a transmission update that was done and what happened is the car was programmed to downshift into first gear at 2 miles an hour or less. I had my transmission software downgraded to the previous version and now the car will downshift into first gear at around 5 miles an hour. It was driving me nuts because I would slow down to an almost stop but would never get below to that 2 miles an hour down shift threshold. I would then press the gas to accelerate but the car was still in second gear and then would downshift into first quickly and would give me that bucking sensation.
Now that the problem is solved hopefully that helps anyone who has similar issues.