Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2014 X60 T5 jerks when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2014 X60 T5 jerks when shifting gears

Hellos,
Let me kick off with a confesssion, am a newbie to the forum and Volvos.

I bought a second hand XC60 2013 (automatic) that i noticed something strange while on traffic. The cars jerks from stop to go, initially i assumed it the stop-start system but i noticed the engine doesn't cut off. Secondly it feels like its forcing to shift hence the jerking what is interesting after it engages gear 1 its moves smoothly. In addition, the issue doesn't occur immediately i stop, so when am traffic lights it will only crop up when i make second/third stop.

I'll be happy to be guided on what could be the issue(if at all there is one)?

Old 08-21-2022, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

how does the car shift between gear changes ie 1st to second?

Does the idle seem to be normal or slow?

How many miles on the car and which engine/transmission do you you have?

I'd probably say there's two things to do to start 1) Have a dealer make sure there are no software programming updates to be applied to your car and 2) Check the fluid level/color (not all models have a dipstick so this may require a shop) or simply have the shop do a fluid drain/fill or flush. If the car has over 100K miles it may not be a bad idea.

The other thing to do is have the motor mounts and transmisison mounts checked.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:42 AM

@mt6127 Good pointers...

The delay in shifting is experienced on low gears - 1 & 2.

Idle was erratic but after re-programming its now stabilized. No other errors have been noted infact i suspect its now a mechanical issue not software update or programming.

Yesterday we flushed the ATF, which we noted to had some particles aka 'dirty' but i had also flushed again 4 months ago whil i was about 77K but the issue reoccured after a while. Am now doing 79K approx.

Just out of couriosity, how does the engine & gear box mounting affecting the shifting? I ask because my mechanic also proposed we change the mounts as are close to collapse.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

if the motor mounts are broken, the engine will move with each shift, and may cause a thump which gives the perception of a hard shift. Hard to say without driving the car. Engine misfires/stumbles can also give the appearance of shifting issues (more so on older cars). Again, it all depends on how subtle the shifting issues are.

Curious regarding your ATF flush - did you simply do a drain/fill at 77K miles and then another at 79K or did you do a full flush? Particles in the drain pan (or if you filtered the drained fluid to check for bits) is a bit concerning - but if you did a simple drain/fill the first time, you probably only got 60% of the old fluid out so it may be residual.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:08 PM

We did a drain and refill with new ATF as we assumed it was dirty. What do you propose with a full flush? I have been given an idea to service the gearbox and clean up drain pan among components.

Regarding the mounting, i want to research more am not still convienced that it would affect the shifting as it happens now. Remember the issue occurs on low gear only, so am tempted to think there is another issue before i jump into the mounting issue.

I'll update the post once i address issue 1. Thanks @mt6127 for your insighful suggestions. Cheers