Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2022 Volvo XC60 Internet issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 03:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2022 Volvo XC60 Internet issues

We've had our 2022 Volvo XC60 for a little less than a month and began having issues with the in-car modem and Google maps. I've tried all the "tricks" to reset the modem but I don't believe it ever takes. Even when connected to the internet via Bluetooth, maps thinks I'm in some location that's 10 miles away. I've even attempted to factory reset, but every time I press the factory reset button it just clears as if it wasn't pressed at all. Anyone having similar issues, or have been able to reset the modem on a 2022 XC60? I've tried On-Call but they haven't been super helpful. Appointment at the dealership is a little over 3 weeks out smh.

Last edited by Thats_MrHope; 01-20-2022 at 04:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Thats_MrHope:
Mr. Vee (01-29-2022), Ngross26 (02-15-2022), rmo54 (04-23-2022), Voorhisp (03-23-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 07:40 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I've seen other threads where in-car Google problems have occurred after the person changed their Google password on their personal cell phone or laptop. Not sure if this is the issue with you.

Another thought. In your car, disconnect the modem link and then reconnect it. I've seen people comment on this, as well.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by maggs
I've seen other threads where in-car Google problems have occurred after the person changed their Google password on their personal cell phone or laptop. Not sure if this is the issue with you.

Another thought. In your car, disconnect the modem link and then reconnect it. I've seen people comment on this, as well.
Thanks for the response. No change to the passwords, but I haven't tried to disconnect the modem link. I've only toggled it on an off. Does anyone know where it's located in the 2022 XC60s? Looks like it's on the passenger side in previous models.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:18 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Was your car exposed to rain/water/car wash recently? There is service bulletin for gap between the antenna cover causing moisture in the TCAM (modem) causing these issues.

The following users liked this post:
Jaim7 (05-04-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ValidUsername
Was your car exposed to rain/water/car wash recently? There is service bulletin for gap between the antenna cover causing moisture in the TCAM (modem) causing these issues.
Not outside of any normal driving in the rain. It was actually raining the day we purchased it, literally all day. Had no issues, and that was 3-4 weeks ago. I'll check out the service bulletins.

Jaim7 (05-04-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 07:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few months ago my XC got lost in Santa Rosa. Later that day I returned to Sacramento and my GPS still thought I was down there. It mysteriously found itself about a week later and the main map screen now functions. The map on the dash has nystagmus - constantly drifts to the right and then corrects itself. This is fairly constant and occurs on open highways, driving a straight line without mountains or tall trees. (I do have the Volvo box on the roof and have wondered if it interferes with the antenna??)
so I bet your map auto corrects with time -

Gallego (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 12:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, I had the same issue with my XC60 MY22 a month after taking it from the dealership. Google maps showing msg like “searching GPS connection”. I pressed and hold the front windshield heater/defrost button for 20 seconds and it reset the GPS. LTE symbol in the main screen started to blink and after 2-3 minutes, Google maps was working fine. Hope it helps

Last edited by dlee39; 01-22-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thats_MrHope
We've had our 2022 Volvo XC60 for a little less than a month and began having issues with the in-car modem and Google maps. I've tried all the "tricks" to reset the modem but I don't believe it ever takes. Even when connected to the internet via Bluetooth, maps thinks I'm in some location that's 10 miles away. I've even attempted to factory reset, but every time I press the factory reset button it just clears as if it wasn't pressed at all. Anyone having similar issues, or have been able to reset the modem on a 2022 XC60? I've tried On-Call but they haven't been super helpful. Appointment at the dealership is a little over 3 weeks out smh.
I am having exactly the same issues with my 2022 XC60. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got this reply from Volvo:

Fi 02/02/2022 02:41 PM Hello Robert,

Thank you for reaching back out. Could you please try doing the opposite of my first instructions by first resetting the center console and then pressing on the front defrost for 60 seconds. Then please exit the vehicle and lock it, and then get back into the vehicle to see if the GPS has been restored. If after this, the GPS is still not operating as designed, please bring the vehicle into the dealership for additional diagnosis and repair.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Fi
Volvo Customer Care

Old 02-07-2022, 12:56 AM

We tried the procedure detailed above by Volvo Customer Care and it did not solve the problems. However, the problem of no Wi-Fi connection and no GPS (searching for GPS), and in our case, inaccurate clock time, has been resolved or maybe fixed itself. The only thing I did was delete all of my offline maps which I downloaded approximately the same time the GPS and Wi-Fi issues began. I drove the car about five miles, an audible alert sounded, the GPS reset and when I got home the car connected to my home Wi-Fi. I won’t be downloading any offline maps anytime soon. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:48 AM
Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rtwendel@me.com
I got this reply from Volvo:

Fi 02/02/2022 02:41 PM Hello Robert,
Could you please try doing the opposite of my first instructions by first resetting the center console and then pressing on the front defrost for 60 seconds. Then please exit the vehicle and lock it, and then get back into the vehicle to see if the GPS has been restored. If after this, the GPS is still not operating as designed, please bring the vehicle into the dealership for additional diagnosis and repair.
Volvo Customer Care
This is a F&*)ing joke at this point. They have no idea what to do. "Do This. No, wait, don't do that. Do the opposite. Then get out of your car, hop on your left foot 3 times.....no, wait, right foot, but 4 times. Rub your belly and tap your head at the same time."

Check your state lemon laws. Start documenting everything. Pics of your signal not working. Emails to your dealer. Cover your bases and leave yourself every option available to you.

The following 5 users liked this post by CoKroVolvo:
collectomaniac8 (02-26-2022), GoDaron (03-02-2022), Jaim7 (05-04-2022), Kenrrr (03-19-2022), molly1519 (01-13-2023)
Old 02-10-2022, 03:59 PM

For the past 3 days, I've had no connectivity. The usual "Home Button Reset" of the infotainment stack didn't work. Neither has the "Front Defogger Secret Reset." Front defogger didn't even reset the system, let alone fix the connectivity. Called the dealer yesterday to make an appointment.

Today while driving, the GPS/Google Maps and driver display map all froze. Drove straight to the dealer where they tried to reset the stack. No luck. They don't have a loaner available until Monday. So thats great. 6 more days of the car not functioning properly before dropping it off for a few more days.

I am holding out the smallest of hope that this can be fixed by replacing the modem or chip or whatever hardware is obviously faulty. If it were a software/firmware issue, I'd think more people / everyone would have the problem. However, with the chip shortage, I have my doubts that the parts could be obtained in any reasonable amount of time. (My wife has been waiting 2 months for parts for her Yukon, and they still have no ETA for when they'll arrive).

davet1978 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 04:39 PM

CoKroVolvo: I realize that your software/electronic issues are daunting to you. Unfortunately, with the cars becoming computers-on-wheels, this is the new normal. IMO, I doubt the dealer's service area will know how to fix, since it's probably software related. They'll need to put in ticket in with Volvo to ask for review and assistance. Only through their testing and diagnosis can the issue(s) be resolved. It's not just a matter of changing software and/or parts.

I can relate to what you're experiencing, although my problems with my V were minor. Just a few weeks after obtaining my factory-ordered V90, I got error messages for the power steering and BLIS systems. This was corrected with a software update, although the BLIS system acted up 2 additional times during the past 20 months, and needed software updates to fix, as well. As I've said, software issues may be the new normal. Mechanically, my car is very sound. My guess, since you have the new, Google-based infotainment system, is that you're on the bleeding-edge of this technology in your car. In many respects, the Google system is more robust than my Sensus system, but the kinks are probably still being worked out.

Jaim7 (05-04-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 06:10 PM

Well said maggs, I have a ‘22 XC60 with problems that mysteriously corrected themselves. Just today, I read an article on issues with software and most all new cars. Contrary to historical auto industry attitudes, software development is beginning to drive the auto industry and frequent updates like our cell phones and computers, will be the norm.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by GrayB
Well said maggs, I have a ‘22 XC60 with problems that mysteriously corrected themselves. Just today, I read an article on issues with software and most all new cars. Contrary to historical auto industry attitudes, software development is beginning to drive the auto industry and frequent updates like our cell phones and computers, will be the norm.
I've been discussing the Google-related infotainment issues with my friends, all of whom are Volvo owners. While Sensus is clearly not as advanced as the Google offering, at least for our most recent models (I have a 2020 V90 Inscription and a friend has a 2019 V90 CC), we feel lucky that we purchased our cars after Volvo had sufficient time to sought through the known problems. Unfortunately, it will probably take several years before Volvo and Google can make the infotainment system more problem free.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:39 AM

CoKroVolvo: I realize that your software/electronic issues are daunting to you. Unfortunately, with the cars becoming computers-on-wheels, this is the new normal. IMO, I doubt the dealer's service area will know how to fix, since it's probably software related. They'll need to put in ticket in with Volvo to ask for review and assistance. Only through their testing and diagnosis can the issue(s) be resolved. It's not just a matter of changing software and/or parts.
Maggs - I'd respectfully disagree. I have plenty of issues with the way the Google stack is implemented. And I've accepted that those may or may not get fixed to my liking. And yes, cars are computers on wheels. But I refuse to make excuses for hardware related issues. The car's GPS should not randomly and mysteriously be failing, fail to reset using any of the 3 known methods, fail to be reset by the authorized dealer service department, and then magically start working a day later with no additional interaction.

I work in technology (Google is a partner, too) so I understand and accept how this all works. I don't mind having to reboot my phone when it freezes. But the rules are different for cars. Its flat out unsafe for a car's display systems to be frozen for days on end.

If your laptop monitor stopped working for days on end, we wouldn't sit back and say "maybe tomorrow." If we need to accept that these are computers , then they need to give us the same options as computers. The fact that the dealer could t reset the infotainment stack was a big warning sign for me. I don't mean "they didn't solve the connectivity problem." I mean they couldnt even get the screens to unlock.

My bigger problem is Volvo's attitude. "Its a Google problem and we don't know whats going to happen" is not what they should be telling customers, even if it is.

Last edited by CoKroVolvo; 02-11-2022 at 07:58 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by CoKroVolvo:
GoDaron (03-02-2022), Jaim7 (05-04-2022), MarciR (03-16-2023), molly1519 (01-13-2023), Voorhisp (03-23-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by CoKroVolvo
Maggs - I'd respectfully disagree. I have plenty of issues with the way the Google stack is implemented. And I've accepted that those may or may not get fixed to my liking. And yes, cars are computers on wheels. But I refuse to make excuses for hardware related issues. The car's GPS should not randomly and mysteriously be failing, fail to reset using any of the 3 known methods, fail to be reset by the authorized dealer service department, and then magically start working a day later with no additional interaction.

I work in technology (Google is a partner, too) so I understand and accept how this all works. I don't mind having to reboot my phone when it freezes. But the rules are different for cars. Its flat out unsafe for a car's display systems to be frozen for days on end.

If your laptop monitor stopped working for days on end, we wouldn't sit back and say "maybe tomorrow." If we need to accept that these are computers , then they need to give us the same options as computers. The fact that the dealer could t reset the infotainment stack was a big warning sign for me. I don't mean "they didn't solve the connectivity problem." I mean they couldnt even get the screens to unlock.

My bigger problem is Volvo's attitude. "Its a Google problem and we don't know whats going to happen" is not what they should be telling customers, even if it is.
I also worked in IT for 35 years, so I get what you are saying. As you know, working in the field, your end product is only as good as the 3rd party you elect to partner with. Systems problems are solvable, provided the right people from both Volvo and Google have the best and brightest working to resolve it. Perhaps they are. Regarding Volvo communications, I would agree that they could me more proactive. From my experience, customers can be more understanding, to a point, when they (a) know more about what may be causing the issue and (b) are given some information regarding when it might be fixed.

Whether we're now talking about Volvo's first-year Google implementation or some other first-year model from Volvo or any other brand, there's a reason why it's often said that it's better to delay purchasing a "new" model until (at a minimum) year two, or wait to year three or later. In my case, being new to the Volvo brand, I have to admit that I was worried about Volvo reliability. I elected to factory order my 2020 V90 partially because it was in its fifth model year, and I figured most of the bugs had been fixed. I should add that, even after deciding to purchase a fifth gen V90, upon receipt I still encountered some minor "software" issues, particularly with the BLIS system and (once) my infotainment screen shut down and restarted itself while driving. Software updates resolved these issues. During my ordering process, I had read that Volvo was moving away from Sensus, and to Google for its infotainment software. While, at the time, I recognized that Google would be a step up in capability, I was also concerned about being a bleeding-edge first-time adopter. In the end, in my case, I was willing to forgo the next/latest features for a system that worked fairly well, if a bit bland. As a consumer, we all make our choices.

PS: I bought, not leased, my 2020 V90, with the intent to keep for at least 10 years (I also purchased an extended warranty). As such, I had an even keener interest to purchase something that was tried-and-true, as opposed to the latest-and-greatest. If I had planned to lease, I might have opted to wait and acquire the Google-based model, since the tech looks fantastic.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:43 AM

I also worked in IT for 35 years, so I get what you are saying. As you know, working in the field, your end product is only as good as the 3rd party you elect to partner with. Systems problems are solvable, provided the right people from both Volvo and Google have the best and brightest working to resolve it. Perhaps they are. Regarding Volvo communications, I would agree that they could me more proactive. From my experience, customers can be more understanding, to a point, when they (a) know more about what may be causing the issue and (b) are given some information regarding when it might be fixed..
Agreed 100%. In this case, their answer to me was worse than "we don't know." It was "If you don't like it, you deal with it." And I find that to be pretty abhorrent. If my MLB app were crashing, OK, I get it. But when it comes to the "standard" features on the car, Volvo needs to own it. We're talking about the navigation system freezing and locking up. If they used TomTom or Garmin, they wouldn't be telling customers to call them. The 2021 USB Media Player in the Sensus system is 100% Volvo's issue. But in 2022, they tell me to contact moleman24@gmail, see whats in his github repository, and figure it out? Totally unacceptable.

With so few apps in the car's PlayStore, we should be assured that they've been vetted, tested, and working as advertised. And if not, Volvo should be clear and transparent about where things stand and what, if anything, will be done to address them. Before I write a $70k check, I want to hear "We aren't going to be responsible for anything that happens on any screen in this vehicle."
Whether we're now talking about Volvo's first-year Google implementation or some other first-year model from Volvo or any other brand, there's a reason why it's often said that it's better to delay purchasing a "new" model until (at a minimum) year two, or wait to year three or later.
Agreed here too. I put too much faith in Volvo and their "experiment" with the XC40. I felt like they had a full model year of a car already running Android Automotive OS and would have had the bigger kinks worked out. I'll own that mistake 100%.

The following 2 users liked this post by CoKroVolvo:
Jaim7 (05-04-2022), maggs (02-11-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reset modem

How do i reset modem? I’ve already done the holding home button and defogger trick which reset google maps however it still is showing me offline. How do i get back online?? So frustrating

molly1519 (01-13-2023)
Old 02-14-2022, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ngross26
How do i reset modem? I’ve already done the holding home button and defogger trick which reset google maps however it still is showing me offline. How do i get back online?? So frustrating
Holding the front defogger is supposed to reset the modem. Sometimes it just doesn't work. It will magically fix itself the day before your service appointment, of course.

The following 2 users liked this post by CoKroVolvo:
collectomaniac8 (02-26-2022), Ngross26 (02-15-2022)

Quick Reply: 2022 Volvo XC60 Internet issues