Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

air bag tech question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question air bag tech question

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and I hope someone can help me with this question. I called Volvo of N. America and they were of no help whatsoever, and the woman on the phone said she "had no idea when she could provide me with an answer."

We need to find the exact "ingredients" in the 2013 Volvo XC60 Turbo airbags (any chemicals, explosives, lubricant, powder, etc. - whatever is released when they open). In other words... what is in all of the airbags including the side curtains?

Here's our problem. My mother was driving my Volvo. She is a non-drinker. She swerved to avoid an animal and rolled the vehicle 2-3 times. All airbags deployed. She is physically fine (thanks to the safety of Volvo). Needless to say, she was disoriented after the crash (no one was hurt - the car went into the ditch). Police arrived and because she was disoriented and confused - who knows how she answered their questions - they gave her a breathalyzer. She was over the legal limit. Again - she does not drink! so... in some on-line research, I have found that the Breathalyzer used in the town the accident happened is unreliable (not used in many states b/c of unreliability) AND Breathalyzer readings can be affected by the chemicals and powders released from airbags (the machine reads the chemicals / powders as alcohol even though they are not alcohol.

How can I find out the EXACT "ingredients" of the airbags in my Volvo? As I said ... Volvo of N. America was of no help, and a bit rude to me. Can anyone help me find out this information? Perhaps the "ingredients" are on an airbag box or something? We hired an attorney for my mother and she consulted with a doctor who said we need to find out the chemicals and powders emitted during the crash. Please help if you can.