Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Anyone have and can comment @ 2022 Recharge Extended Range?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have and can comment @ 2022 Recharge Extended Range?

Combing forums and YouTube vids and looking for owner impressions of the extended range recharge model. Mine won’t be available til mid-April as it sits at port 30 miles away awaiting release.

What’s the acceleration like? Can you get away with plugging it into 120V until a better connection is installed? Assume since these are just being released they will have latest software installed, so any observed or experienced issues as others are having with their 2022’s?

Old 03-27-2022, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can we swap out battery for ER version?

For those of us w/ 2022 XC60 and the regular range Recharge (T8), are we able to increase range by having the larger battery installed? Is there anything else involved in the extended range than the battery itself? Since the option is only $500 (USD), I was hoping it was as simple as a larger battery.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:41 AM
Default XC60 extended range “impressions”

Any current owners out there?In the midst of holding an Extended Range Inscription Impression (silly monicker)for delivery next month.I read and watched the initial reviews-mostly very positive,but curiious of the ownership experience so far and jittery about some the VERY negative “impressions” seen here and elsewhere by actual buyers vs. testers.Actual owners I need some positive reinforcement (understood: not many have been released here the USA.)Should I wiggle out of my commitment or is it a go? .

Old 04-11-2022, 10:02 PM

Have had our 2022 XC-60 T8 Inscription for two weeks. Compared to the 2021 Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring we Lemon Lawed, it is an incredible breathe of fresh air. The Lincoln was lucky to charge to 26 miles (if at all) on Level 1 (120VAC), it would never charge at Level 2 (2430VAC). We tried two Lincoln Webasto charging cables, 4 different brands of Level 2 charging stations and 31 days in the shop before Lincoln took it back agreeing the car had a problem. Our new Volvo charged at Level 2 immediately using the Volvo charging cable and immediately with our Level 2 charging station. The first charge was 38 miles and subsequent charges have been to 40 miles. I find the Google electronics as easy to use as my android smartphone. Having the google map right in front of me great. The car came with 2.0 software already installed.
Paddy

Old 04-13-2022, 03:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by XCOLY
Combing forums and YouTube vids and looking for owner impressions of the extended range recharge model. Mine won’t be available til mid-April as it sits at port 30 miles away awaiting release.

What’s the acceleration like? Can you get away with plugging it into 120V until a better connection is installed? Assume since these are just being released they will have latest software installed, so any observed or experienced issues as others are having with their 2022’s?
I think you're posting over on Swedespeed, also (which I do, as well, not knowing how many people here also post there).
I think that very few people in North America have the ER XC60 yet; over on Swedespeed, its seems to be mostly Europeans, but the ERs have been released from port in the US following certification over the past several weeks, and we should be hearing more new-ownership thoughts (pros and cons) in the coming month.
As for your 120V question: we've bought two non-Volvo PHEVs already, and our RAV4 Prime has a battery pack about the same size as the ER XC60 (with 50 miles of all-electric range). We only have 120-volt outlets in our garage, and we find them to be plenty fine for our PHEVs. The RAV4 Prime charges from empty to full in 12 hours, overnight -- which works well for us. We won't be upgrading to 240 volts in the garage until we buy our first BEV, in a few years.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:30 PM
Default Amazing

Originally Posted by mr.drama
Any current owners out there?In the midst of holding an Extended Range Inscription Impression (silly monicker)for delivery next month.I read and watched the initial reviews-mostly very positive,but curiious of the ownership experience so far and jittery about some the VERY negative “impressions” seen here and elsewhere by actual buyers vs. testers.Actual owners I need some positive reinforcement (understood: not many have been released here the USA.)Should I wiggle out of my commitment or is it a go? .
We just picked up our 2022 xc60 T8 recharge POLESTAR. IT. IS. AWESOME!!! We got the extended range and are testing the range out tomorrow, but did well on gas in the hybrid mode driving it home from the dealership yesterday. Plugged it into a regular wall outlet 110 volt and it takes about 16 hours to fully charge the battery this way. Will definitely be getting an electrician to install a 240 volt Level 2 charger at our house to charge it more quickly. It has great torque (definitely enough to push you back in the seat on acceleration). We just gave our 2012 Volvo XC60 R design to a family member for their college graduation and it is still in mint condition, but wanted an excuse to get a new one which we officially received yesterday. Great experience so far!

Old 04-19-2022, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2thDoc
We just picked up our 2022 xc60 T8 recharge POLESTAR. IT. IS. AWESOME!!! We got the extended range and are testing the range out tomorrow, but did well on gas in the hybrid mode driving it home from the dealership yesterday. Plugged it into a regular wall outlet 110 volt and it takes about 16 hours to fully charge the battery this way. Will definitely be getting an electrician to install a 240 volt Level 2 charger at our house to charge it more quickly. It has great torque (definitely enough to push you back in the seat on acceleration). We just gave our 2012 Volvo XC60 R design to a family member for their college graduation and it is still in mint condition, but wanted an excuse to get a new one which we officially received yesterday. Great experience so far!
How is the torque for acceleration in electric-only (Pure) mode, with the ICE off? How far can you press the pedal down before the ICE kicks in?

Old 05-09-2022, 01:54 PM

You probably already have yours by now, but for others who may stumble across here. I bought my 2022 XC 60 Recharge Extended Inscription Expression (I think I got that right, its the higher tier) at the end of April and have been using it over the last week or two. My thoughts on your questions are:

1. What’s the acceleration like? - In pure mode its not all that impressive, my wife's 22 Q5 feels quicker. In power mode though it does quite well. I dont think I hit the 4.5s-4.6s 0-60 though they advert though. It feels more like a 6 second car to me.
2. Can you get away with plugging it into 120V until a better connection is installed? - You can, but its slow as anything. It was taking me 15-18hours to get a full charge. It was so slow that within a week, I had an electrician out to install a 240v outlet. Now it takes about 5 hours.
3. Software Issues? - I have run into a few. The volvo app did not like that my phone died and refused to reconnect to my new phone. Had to reinstall the app after disconnecting from the service. Also, had the music completely fail, requiring a reboot of the OS. Simple bugs, but annoyances none the less.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. It matches my needs, and my mileage has been amazing. My only complaint is that apple music is not a native app, so I have to use it via blutooth. I don't need carplay, as google built in does everything for me, but the lack of an apple music app has me rethinking my sub to that platform just when I got used to using it.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:56 PM

Update: Ended up getting a different XC60. Found and bought a Polestar Edition ER; white with 22”. Love it! And in Polestar mode (similar to Power) it scoots pretty well. Did the launch control a couple times and It has a slight hesitation, but a slight rolling start at 2 mph in Polestar is addicting and I can see the sub-5 seconds as likely true.

No issues so far and got it maybe a month ago?

Last edited by XCOLY; 05-09-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:06 PM

The XC60 T8 ERs are now landing at dealerships across America. I've test-driven a couple of them and concur what's said above about the acceleration: ok in Pure mode, excellent in Power mode. In Pure mode, there's obviously instant torque there, but it is sluggish when you push your foot down on the pedal in terms of accelerating (much more sluggish than our RAV4 Prime, which is really peppy and quick in EV mode). The EV range does appear quite good (mid-30s in miles). Can anybody concur that the gas tank is indeed 18.6-18.8 gallons in size? (The estimated gas mileage is quite high, so I'm assuming that the stated size of the tank is accurate, when doing a Google search).

In spending roughly 2-3 hours with the test-drive XC60 T8 ERs, I saw no significant software glitches. There are some frustrating things, though. With Google Maps, if you zoom in or out, it will have a message at the bottom to tap to "re-center"; this is because if you zoom in or out while the car is moving, the car will move out of the field (i.e., off the Map) -- the map will not follow the car unless you keep it at the default scale. When I type the re-center icon, it re-centers the car but then reverts to the default scale (which is perhaps 1 mile on a side?); this is bad design. I was zoomed in to look at streets closely where I had to consider making a turn, and some of the local streets disappeared when I "re-centered" the map because they weren't visible at the "larger" scale (i.e., zoomed out). This would be a constant problem for me in my driving -- not having the car centered on the map except for the default scale.

I like that you can turn off auto-dimming of mirrors and can have the car start every time in Pure mode. I don't like that you can't disable the auto-locking when starting to move. I think it's unanimous that everybody with 2022 Volvos hates the lack of a drive-mode dial on the steering wheel; you have to touch the screen at least three times to change the drive mode, and that's if you don't "miss" touching the correct small icons (in my test drives, the road was uneven enough that I kept hitting the wrong icons -- even to get the the Driver Settings page -- so three touches becomes four or five or six touches, which is pretty dang unsafe in terms of driver time looking away from the road).

Another gripe is the sunshade being translucent, not opaque: the sun still shines through brightly when it's closed, which can be glary for back-seat passengers.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by cometguy
The XC60 T8 ERs are now landing at dealerships across America. I've test-driven a couple of them and concur what's said above about the acceleration: ok in Pure mode, excellent in Power mode. In Pure mode, there's obviously instant torque there, but it is sluggish when you push your foot down on the pedal in terms of accelerating (much more sluggish than our RAV4 Prime, which is really peppy and quick in EV mode). The EV range does appear quite good (mid-30s in miles). Can anybody concur that the gas tank is indeed 18.6-18.8 gallons in size? (The estimated gas mileage is quite high, so I'm assuming that the stated size of the tank is accurate, when doing a Google search).

In spending roughly 2-3 hours with the test-drive XC60 T8 ERs, I saw no significant software glitches. There are some frustrating things, though. With Google Maps, if you zoom in or out, it will have a message at the bottom to tap to "re-center"; this is because if you zoom in or out while the car is moving, the car will move out of the field (i.e., off the Map) -- the map will not follow the car unless you keep it at the default scale. When I type the re-center icon, it re-centers the car but then reverts to the default scale (which is perhaps 1 mile on a side?); this is bad design. I was zoomed in to look at streets closely where I had to consider making a turn, and some of the local streets disappeared when I "re-centered" the map because they weren't visible at the "larger" scale (i.e., zoomed out). This would be a constant problem for me in my driving -- not having the car centered on the map except for the default scale.

I like that you can turn off auto-dimming of mirrors and can have the car start every time in Pure mode. I don't like that you can't disable the auto-locking when starting to move. I think it's unanimous that everybody with 2022 Volvos hates the lack of a drive-mode dial on the steering wheel; you have to touch the screen at least three times to change the drive mode, and that's if you don't "miss" touching the correct small icons (in my test drives, the road was uneven enough that I kept hitting the wrong icons -- even to get the the Driver Settings page -- so three touches becomes four or five or six touches, which is pretty dang unsafe in terms of driver time looking away from the road).

Another gripe is the sunshade being translucent, not opaque: the sun still shines through brightly when it's closed, which can be glary for back-seat passengers.
But it’s still 3 clicks to select your drive mode even though it’s in the screen. And 3 on the old dial. The screen is better and faster with right bottom for settings. The dial select I had to look under the steering wheel to see where I was selecting and then push down without rolling and having to re-select. It’s a personal thing.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:09 PM

But it’s still 3 clicks to select your drive mode even though it’s in the screen. And 3 on the old dial. The screen is better and faster with right bottom for settings. The dial select I had to look under the steering wheel to see where I was selecting and then push down without rolling and having to re-select. It’s a personal thing.
Yes, the old Volvo console dial was horrendously bad, as well. Porsche puts a drive mode wheel on the steering wheel; you just turn it to get to the various drive modes (no pushing). Our RAV4 Prime similarly has buttons that you just push once (different button for each drive mode), to the left of the gear lever in the front of the center console -- again, much better designed than was the absurd Volvo roller dial that was not only hard to use (because you had to roll *and* push to select, and I'd too-often "over-shoot" when rolling to a drive mode that I didn't want) but was awkward to use because of its placement to the rear/center of the console instead of toward the front.

The following users liked this post:
XCOLY (05-09-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up my 2022 XC60 Recharge Extended about 2w ago, so far I love it. My only real complaint is the foot activated lift gate accidentally triggering in my small garage, but that is another matter.

My observations so far:
- Picked up with a full tank of gas, so far I've put on like 90 miles only. The gas tank still shows as full. I've charged it maybe 3 times so far also overnight.
- In Pure mode, you will def have less power when driving.
- In Hybrid mode, you will have power as I believe the car figures out when to use battery and gas.
- In Power mode, obviously you get the most powerful driving experience. I believe the car will still use the battery as well as gas engine, but optimized for power. I don't know if this is absolutely true, but I felt like the power was reduced when I was driving with my battery dead (but that could all be in my head too).

All in all, very happy with the purchase.