Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

VIP Extended Warranty for V90 Inscription Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 09:15 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default VIP Extended Warranty for V90 Inscription Wagon

Hi. My 2020 V90 Inscription estate wagon is on order and scheduled for delivery on May 6, 2020. If anyone in this forum has actually purchased a VIP "Platinum" extended warranty plan, would you mind stating your ACTUAL experience, particularly for those instances where the extended warranty DID NOT provide payment for a repair, as well as for those instances where the warranty provided coverage?

Please, I'd rather not get into the debate of the pros-and-cons of purchasing an extended warranty, which has been discussed in many other threads.

I understand that the VIP is an "exclusionary" plan, and I've reviewed the lengthy list was what is excluded, as well as what is included. The specificity of what's listed for coverage leaves me with the uneasy feeling that, upon visiting a dealership, it might be easy for the warranty company to fine-tune their argument against providing coverage. Of particular concern to me are the long-term viability the electronics in the car (e.g., info/nav system, driver aid/accident avoidance systems, etc), the turbo and supercharger systems, and the AWD and transmission/transfer case/torque converter systems.

I will be buying, not leasing, my V90 and plan to keep it for at least 7 years. Being retired, my intent is to use this vehicle, primarily, for long-distance travel to visit family and friends in New England and the Mid-Atlantic States, driving in a leisurely manner, slightly above posted speed limits. Plan to drive approximately 7-to-8K miles per year with this vehicle.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

no experience with Volvo but I did have a warranty claim on my VW's CPO warranty. At 50K miles (which was within the warranty window), I got an intermittant oil pressure warning light. The problem was diagnosed as debris in the oil pick up (some of it was metal) - this was in a car that had nothing but by the book maintenance at the dealer. VW of America recommended and approved a long block replacement (lol, a $9800 value for a 2.0 Turbo). Took the dealer 3 weeks for the job and they kept in a loaner for free for the duration. Now keep in mind, VW is not known for the same level of dealer and factory service as Volvo so I'd expect you'd have the same or better, particularly if you a) keep good documentation b) keep up with factory recommended servicing and c) stay on top of noises and other symptoms etc and consider using the dealer for the major service events so as to get their inspection work. I suspect VW knew of a design flaw and this wasn't the first 2.0T to have this problem...

As to your questions on what can go wrong and what may/may not be covered: The big thing about new cars is that the mechanicals are getting more reliable (engines for example are manufactured to 10x better tolerances vs 10 years ago) but the software and communications between sensors and modules is getting more complex. Diagnosing and repairing a newer car is often done with diagnostic tools that not all shops have, and the replacements are often modular or may include software updates etc. The only new thing about the mechanicals are for engines with direct injection where the valves can get carbon build up and will need cleaning after 100K miles (reason is the direct injected fuel doesn't wash the carbon off the valves). This should give you some insights into whether the coverage is adequate. Remember, its really an insurance policy - just like home owners. There's always the possibility that something can break that's not covered - but more likely you will not need to have a claim.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:53 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi, MT6127: Just as a follow-up. It's May 2020 and I've finally (almost) gotten my factory ordered 2020 V90 Inscription (it was delivered to the dealer with the wrong wheels and I waiting for replacement ... I won't take ownership until this is corrected). So much for factory quality control! With the recent Costco buying program and Volvo incentives in May, another $3k will be reduced from my purchase price. I've elected to use this to purchase the 10 yr/100K Platinum VIP, with a zero deductible. Ordinarily, I don't purchase extended warranties on anything. However, not having any experience with Volvos (but worried about its reliability), along with all of the complex technology included in (particularly) high-end cars, I decided to purchase the extended warranty insurance.

Old 05-10-2022, 05:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up my XC60 Extended Range...Do you generally use the cables it came with, then store them in the car after its done charging? And unravel and wrap up every day?
I saw extra OEM cables are like $500. Do aftermarket ones work with the Volvo XC60?

Old 05-11-2022, 07:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Masta120
Just picked up my XC60 Extended Range...Do you generally use the cables it came with, then store them in the car after its done charging? And unravel and wrap up every day?
I saw extra OEM cables are like $500. Do aftermarket ones work with the Volvo XC60?
Personally, my cable stays plugged in, in my garage. When I park in the garage, I plug it in to the car. When I leave, I unplug from the car, and set the charge handle on something next to the car.
I never take it with me in the car.
I would take it if I was overnighting somewhere I knew I could plug it in, and only for multiple nights, 1 day, no biggie.