Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Common Air conditioning problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Common Air conditioning problem?

2013 XC60 3.2

The ac on the car seems to work sometimes - not so much other times. First start of the day, the AC will usually not start getting cold until you have driven it for maybe 6-10 minutes. However, once the car is warmed up the AC will be cold. What I mean is if i get to the grocery store and I'm inside for 25 minutes, when i come back out and start the car up the AC will begin cooling within just a moment. It doesn't take it 10 minutes like it does first thing in the morning.
On very long drives, the AC will eventually stop blowing cold and I can get it cold again by turning off the AC and then back on a minute later. This is a minor inconvenience compared to the 10 minutes it doesn't blow cold at all though when first started.

The local Volvo dealer looked at it today and said that the compressor is engaging but they are recommending to replace the compressor. Other suggestion was to evac and refill to make sure the freon level is correct.

It seems like they might be throwing an expensive part at the problem without much thought put in. I was hoping to hear from others here on what issues you've had with the AC. Any simple items that could be responsible before we replace a $$$ compressor?

Thanks!
Shaun

Old 06-14-2019, 07:43 AM

Recharge the refrigerant at an independent auto shop or do it yourself.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:58 AM

I don't think its a refrigerant level issue. I'm beginning to suspet its the compressor control switch that is installed in the end of the compressor after reading up on the matter on VW forums and a few posts on here too. The VW and I guess many euro cars have a similar compressor setup where they are variable displacement and use this control valve. what I read said that if they seem to only work when the engine is good and warm but not when the temps are cooler, the control valve could be to blame due to it sticking until things warm up and move more easily.
This sounds pretty spot on to our symptoms.

The plan is to order this valve and a new receiver dryer and have the garage down the road evac it and then refill it when parts have been replaced. Lady of the house will be out of town for a week soon and i'll plan to it then...with a beer in my hand and possible no pants on! Sorry, i'm just excited about the upcoming week of freedom!

Old 06-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pampadori, I'm having a similar issue with my 2012 XC60. I read on another Volvo forum this could be the compressor clutch is not engaging properly (not remaining engaged). This doesn't seem like a possible problem with my vehicle because the compressor is running at an idle and is not cycling on and off. Let us know when you complete the "fix"....that may be my problem as well.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:04 PM

I was able to get a garage to evacuate the AC this week and I attempted to try and replace the control valve, which I bought from the Volvo dealership on the other side of town. Cost was $120ish. The parts counter guy told me that they sell quite a few of these valves. That made me feel confident in the repair since a car as common as these xc60's should have established patterns.
Replacing the control valve didn't go as planned. Your supposed to gently pry the valve out of the compressor. Unfortunately as soon as i attempted that the plastic end of the valve broke right off. I ended up having to remove the compressor and get creative to remove the valve.
I finished the task and took the car back to the garage to have the system recharged. So far since all of this the AC has been cooling quickly and efficiently. Operates just like it should! Only been a couple of days though so if symptoms return I'll be sure to update the thread again.

Last edited by pampadori; 06-28-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate some help on this one. With the climate control set to auto and with the preset cabin temp set at 20 degrees, I would expect the heater to cut in when its 6 degrees outside. However, it is only when I set it on to manual that I

Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfpb
I would appreciate some help on this one. With the climate control set to auto and with the preset cabin temp set at 20 degrees, I would expect the heater to cut in when its 6 degrees outside. However, it is only when I set it on to manual that I
Try switching from outside circulation then back to inside recirculation. This has fixed the glitch for me when it is hot and the AC never comes on. Worth a shot.