Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Help: Importing UK MY18 XC60 to EU failing on headlight beam pattern

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 04:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help: Importing UK MY18 XC60 to EU failing on headlight beam pattern

I'm at my wit's end and hope someone can help.

I have a UK (RHD) MY18 XC60 T5 Polestar AWD which I am importing to Sweden (LHD).

As such it needs to pass a registration inspection. Part of the inspection is that the headlight beam shape conforms to LHD.

The shape we have is flat with a 'kick up' on the side but the kick is on the wrong side for EU/LHD traffic; so it failed. Some models have a 'tourist mode' and some can change the beam pattern from RHD to LHD, but not MY18 XC60s apparently.

I have LED lights with Active High Beam and headlight 'bending'. I can turn these off with toggle options on the main display screen though this doesn't appear to do anything (except when I turn the steering wheel).

There is a thread which says "you don't need to do anything" but that is only for driving abroad and not importing.

There don't appear to be controls or settings to change the beam shape for this model... so what do I do?

The manual says this is only for the XC90 so I'm really confused.

- No help from Volvo central (they pass me to a local dealer who doesn't know)
- No help from Volvo service (again, they don't know what to do)
- No help from the inspector (though they spent 30 mins checking all their EU cars to see if they could do something).
- Stickers on the lights would also fail the inspection

The only option I can come up with is to buy new LHD headlights. Used ones are about 8000SEK each. And am I even able install them myself or is there some calibration needed?

I really hope someone can help.

Last edited by craigmdennis; 12-16-2022 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:20 AM

Craig - Amazing we posted about the same issue on the same day!!!

I am amazed that there is a software option on older XC90 cars and also on the same car XC40 a year later but can't be done for 2018 models. I would be happy to pay a technician to do this is software or a software upgrade option. Let's see.

Will post any updates I get on this thread as well.

Similar issue with importing 2018 XC40 to Switzerland

Old 12-16-2022, 01:11 PM

It seems all the 2018/19 XC60s (and possibly XC40s) don't have the capability to change the beam pattern with a software setting. The lights themselves show RHD on them (attached).

A parts department in the UK has made a technical request to Volvo to provide the correct parts numbers for the LHD headlights. Apparently the stickers are all but useless for finding the correct lights. They said there were 20+ options and they need to be tied to the specific car capabilities.

We'll see what they come back with and will try and find some used here in Sweden.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:02 AM

A very unsatisfactory outcome.

According to Volvo (while they were installing the new fog light) there is no software fix available for changing RHD light to LHD even if you can physically install them.
When we costed everything it became evident that this was going to cost too much and be too complex to undo when we need to sell the car later.

So I'm driving back to the UK to sell it.
I don't know if the same is true with the XC40 but I wouldn't be surprised.