Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Help needed with door lock actuator rod

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help needed with door lock actuator rod

Need some help with the door lock actuator rod.

I had the door trim off to replace the switch module.

Whilst I was replacing the trim, the metal actuator rod from the manual lock **** became disconnected at the bottom.

I can’t see where it connects.

I suspect that I will need to remove the inner panel, with all that entails

It looks like a major nightmare

Does anyone have any information on how to replace this without taking the entire door apart?

A diagram or photo would be helpful? Can’t find one on-line

Old 03-08-2020, 08:49 PM

Just in case anyone else has this nightmare problem, it is just possible to replace the rod without dismantling the door and removing the inner panel.

I managed to do this today, but it was very fiddly and frustrating.

One of the biggest difficulties is understanding what you are aiming for. The official Vida diagram does not show the end connection of the rod very clearly.

My solution was to find a picture of a lock that was for sale, with the rod connected.

I then removed the securing bolts from the outer edge of the door panel and managed to prize it out by about 1 inch, holding it there with a wooden chock.

It will not come out any further because of the metal window elevation guides bolted to it, on the inside of the door.

You will then need to illuminate the opening with a bright light. I managed to insert a small halogen light into the door.

You will also need to position a small mirror so that you can see the side of the lock mechanism.

You are looking for a white plastic clip with a slot in it and a hole off to the right.

You then need to maneuver the short right-angled end of the rod into the slot, and then turn it by 90 degrees so that the right-angled end pops into the hole on the right.

It is very difficult to figure out which way you need to move the rod to get it to engage.

Much bad language, and many attempts, but don’t give up, it can be done.

Then I taped the top end of the rod with the black **** to the door frame with duck tape, so it could not fall out again whilst I replaced the bolts on the inner panel and refitted the door trim.

Good luck.

White Clip

Old 03-14-2020, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nikc13
Need some help with the door lock actuator rod.

I had the door trim off to replace the switch module.

Whilst I was replacing the trim, the metal actuator rod from the manual lock **** became disconnected at the bottom.

I can’t see where it connects.

I suspect that I will need to remove the inner panel, with all that entails

It looks like a major nightmare

Does anyone have any information on how to replace this without taking the entire door apart?

A diagram or photo would be helpful? Can’t find one on-line
I had the same problem last weekend while tinting the windows.
My drivers door lock rod came off while I was putting the door card back on. Looked on the net for an easy way to remove the inner card but only found one Chinese guy who had a video. Anyway, his glass clips were different than mine so I couldn't do it his way. Mine is a 2010 XC60.
What ended up doing was positioning the rod on the outside of the inner door card to see approximately where it would clip into its clip on the locking mechanism. I then drilled a 30mm hole with a hole saw in the metal part of the door. It was OK to do this because the main door card covers the hole which I drilled. I had already undone all the bolts on the inner card and stuck my hand inside the door to feel how far the door locking mechanism was spaced out from the door where I drilled the hole. It felt very close so I cut the small pilot drill shorter so it only stuck out about 5mm from the 30mm hole saw. I carefully drilled the hole and sure enough the locking mechanism was only about 8mm from the door skin. Luckily I didn't use a longer pilot drill because I would have drilled right into the locking mechanism.
Anyway to my amazement, I drilled exactly where the rod had to connect to the mechanism. It was then a simple matter of treading the rod back inside the door and attaching it to the mechanism. I then tapped the rod to the door so it wouldn't fall off again and put tape over the hole I drilled and refitted the main door card. The hole can never be seen because it was just on the inside of the door card. I know it's not the best thing to do, but saved a bloody nightmare. If you have to remove the inner door card, you need to unclip the window and tape it up so it can't fall down, remove the outside door handle, remove the mechanism where the door catches on the b piller. Then you can remove the inner card. What a joke.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:35 PM

Thank you so much for this information. I was able to reconnect my door lock actuator rod using a light and a mirror! Whew, so glad I did not have to tear the whole door apart!

Old 06-25-2022, 07:50 AM

No, I don't think a diagram or a photo would be helpful. Considering that the problem is quite serious, the most suitable solution would be the help of a locksmith. Only they will fix your problem quickly and qualitatively. That's why I recommend you do this as soon as possible. I tried many times to fix the problems of my car locks on my own, but in most cases, it ended badly. And just a locksmith helps me get out of this problem. So at one point, I decided to learn to be a locksmith too because it seems like a pretty interesting job, and there are eight popular types of locksmith positions, so I have a wide variety to choose from.

Last edited by NicholasBlake; 07-20-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:08 PM
Default My turn

Took the door panel off to get my folding mirror working proper by running a jumper wire from the bottom of the wiring harnes to the broken wire in mirror.

Rod popped out.

Going to try with a bore scope through the little rubber access holes...

Should be fun

Last edited by Rick Ammazzini; 08-24-2022 at 02:16 PM.