Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

New to Volvo: Cold start rough Idle and automatic start/stop disabled

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New to Volvo: Cold start rough Idle and automatic start/stop disabled

I purchased a 2015 Volvo XC60 T5 with 70,000 miles about 2 months ago. Within a week, as I was cold starting the car for my morning commute, the car had a really rough idle, almost to the point of the engine dying, and then the check engine light came on and stayed on. Dealer diagnosed as #1 fuel injector, fuel pipe, and o-ring...all replaced. As I am unfamiliar to the features of newer cars, I realized after I got the car back from the dealer that it has the Automatic Start/Stop feature, but the feature is not operating. The "my car" computer says it is disabled due to "Electrical System." We checked the battery to make sure it is the correct one, as that feature requires a special battery. It is correct and has a sticker on it that says it is 14 months old. I have not returned to the dealer about the inoperable start/stop feature. But this morning, about 1 month after replacement of the fuel injector and related parts, I cold started the car again and had the same rough idle with near death and check engine light illuminated again. I am now curious if the two problems could be related? Has anyone had this issue before with the cold start? Thanks in advance....

Old 04-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Follow up: I took my T5 to the dealer this morning. They said fuel injector 2 has failed per the "code." I'm having them replace the remaining two as well. I am hoping this is not a sign of things to come...ugh

Old 04-02-2020, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

its pretty rare for a fuel injector to fail. If you threw a fault code, then that injector should be replaced. The others are probably fine. Kind of like when an ignition coil goes bad - that doesn't mean the rest are "worn out". Injectors should last the life of the car so just a bit of bad luck here. Out of curiousity, what kind of fuel do you use (ie regular or premium?). Brand name premiums have extra detergents in them so if you like to run regular (most Volvos run fine on regular - they just make a few less HP), you should run some premium every 4th tankful or so - one tankful will clean the injectors and other fuel delivery components (you can google for Consumer Reports analysis on premium vs regular).

The following users liked this post:
Towana Wilks (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
its pretty rare for a fuel injector to fail. If you threw a fault code, then that injector should be replaced. The others are probably fine. Kind of like when an ignition coil goes bad - that doesn't mean the rest are "worn out". Injectors should last the life of the car so just a bit of bad luck here. Out of curiousity, what kind of fuel do you use (ie regular or premium?). Brand name premiums have extra detergents in them so if you like to run regular (most Volvos run fine on regular - they just make a few less HP), you should run some premium every 4th tankful or so - one tankful will clean the injectors and other fuel delivery components (you can google for Consumer Reports analysis on premium vs regular).
Thanks for your response! I just purchased the car with 70000 miles on it. It has 71600 now. I thought the same thing about fuel injectors being for the life of the car. I have never replaced one in any other vehicle I have owned. I have been using a mid grade gas from Shell or Chevron for the 1500 miles that I have driven the car. I got the car back after replace the remaining 3 injectors and it runs great. No rough idle. That did not fix the automatic Start/stop issue the car is having. I'm not too concerned with that though, because the feature is kind of annoying (a loaner I drove during the first fuel injector replacement, had this feature) and I do mostly interstate driving anyway.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Check the owners manual on the start/stop - quite possible it was disabled by the PO. Also cars with start/stop often have a second battery - so if that's on its way out you may need to replace. (But, I'd expect a fault code to be thrown if this were the case).