Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Reduced engine performance, oxygen sensors and brake light

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced engine performance, oxygen sensors and brake light

Hi Volvorines

I have a long story to tell and I hope someone can give me some advice.
I bought a Xc60 2.0t 2011 polestar about 4 months ago.
The day I drove my car out the dealership, the Reduced Engine Performance light came on.
Fortunately I had the annual service coming up and Volvo did a diagnostic and the problem was the actuator on the turbo was faulty.
Eventually going back and forth, the dealership replaced the sensor near the radiator. According to them that was the issue but the problem persisted. Then I used my warranty to pay 95% for replacing the turbo and the dealership paid the balance.
Still the problem wasn't solved. After they replaced the turbo they ran another diagnostic and now the oxygen sensors are faulty(they said it wouldn't make my car go into limp mode) I don't lose speed, I lose power..
Now they want to run another diagnostic.
Does anyone know anything about the consumer act? And also has anyone had similar problems with their Volvo?

Second problem, I replaced both brake lights when bought the car(4 months ago). Two weeks ago the right brake light stopped working. Globe is fine but I replaced it anyway and still it doesn't work. Checked the fuse boxes and all is fine.. Please help..

Old 03-28-2021, 03:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A quick search shows no known common problems of this sort. It is possible all the sensors have failed. Why is anyone's guess, but I would suspect it was something the previous owners caused.

This may seem an odd suggestion, but after buying my used 2012 (non turbo) some of the small performance "quirks" it had were solved by taking a very long road trip.

In other words, the vehicle may have sat undriven for a long time or used only very short trips and that is what is causing these issues. This is common with most cars.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply E-Volvo

I just did a 1000km trip and tomorrow I'm driving back the same route. On my way here, the REP warning popped up at least 7 times. I had to stop and switch off ignition for about 5 minutes every time(didn't want to lose too much time)
Also the exhaust burns blacker than black..

Hopefully everything will get resolved in the weeks to come.

Last edited by Wayne Fairman; 03-28-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Black exhaust? It is definitely running too rich. That would cause the sensors to malfunction.

I hope it's just the car having sat too long by the previous owner.

I really don't have any other advice and I hope you are able to resolve this quickly and not with a lot of cost. However, you may have to replace all the sensors and have the ECU reset. (if you are lucky, maybe just having the ECU reset might fix this)

As I said, these are just educated guesses.

Cheers.

The following users liked this post:
Wayne Fairman (03-28-2021)