Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Running Trickle-Charger Leads Permanently

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 03:15 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Running Trickle-Charger Leads Permanently

MY22 XC60 B5 Mild Hybrid

Having now experienced the dreaded spontaneous dead-car syndrome and Volvo not being able to find and repair the true cause, I am being forced to follow Volvo’s handbook recommendation of trickle charging the 12v battery as a matter of routine. (at least until such time as a formal class-action lawsuit / Group litigation is taken against Volvo to fix this issue once and for all)

To make the trickle charging as easy as possible, my idea is to permanently attach the eyelet connector option (CTEK 5) to the battery jump start terminals under the hood and run the other end to a convenient plugging in point just behind the front bumper area. This saves having to open and close the hood each time. I can then simply plug the charger into the cable connector hidden just behind the bumper area.

Has anyone done anything like this already as it would be very interesting to know how you routed the cable through the engine compartment and through to behind the front bumper area e.g., any easy access panel holes available to run the cable through.

Hoping this makes sense.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:42 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Fuses

While the process is tedious, but not strenuous or difficult, IMO it would be worthwhile to purchase a probe and remove/tap into each fuse in the car. Any line with an electric current, while the car is off, will indicate a draw. Obviously some lines will be on,as for the alarm and SOS. Of course, if your car is in any way similar to my 2020 V90 Inscription T6, there are a lot of fuse lines to check. In my car there are 3 boxes and probably around 100 or so fuses.

BTW, I hope/assume the dealer checked the alternators performance.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:30 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I assume so, as I shared all the public domain discussion findings with my dealer, including the alternator charging one.

Unfortunately, unlike when I was a journeyman auto mechanic many years ago, the technician fault-finding today is limited to what a plug-in tool tells you. Real methodical root cause analysis fault-finding, testing and measuring is no more.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:00 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeta2
I assume so, as I shared all the public domain discussion findings with my dealer, including the alternator charging one.

Unfortunately, unlike when I was a journeyman auto mechanic many years ago, the technician fault-finding today is limited to what a plug-in tool tells you. Real methodical root cause analysis fault-finding, testing and measuring is no more.
Agree with you. Particularly for a time consuming/methodical diagnosis, the factory warranty doesn't provide the dealership with appropriate time & renumeration to throw a tech at the car for this type of issue. Of course, if you have the time and the desire, it might be a good DIY for you to do. I'm retired, so I would probably spend a day checking this out myself. It's not the type of DIY investigative job that would harm anything. And, if you find that a line is draining the battery, you could then bring it to the attention of the dealership and have them fix under warranty. Just a thought. BTW, you shouldn't have to do the dealer or Volvo's job for them, but the choice is to keep you car tethered to a charger and always worry if the battery may run out.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree that it would be good if someone takes this on and writes up a how-to guide for owners. As displeased as I am that we are being told to 'trickle charge' the 12V batteries in our 2022 XC60s by Dealerships, it seems like the best approach currently to keep the vehicle in optimal working condition.... sigh.

Also, if you haven't already, call Corporate's General Support 800 number and log feedback with them about this (I've already done so myself).